3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2014 6:49 PM by pbooth

Ruby Bindings for LBM

Are there any Ruby binding for LBM available? Has anyone been successful in using LBM from Ruby?

• 1. Ruby Bindings for LBM

Hi Scott,

Apologies for the very delayed response, but I wanted to respond as I noticed your question still gets views as of today.

I haven't heard of any other customers trying to create Ruby bindings. As far as I'm aware our UM engineering team do not have anything in the pipeline for supporting or providing materials for Ruby programmers.

Is this something that you, or other customers, are still interested in?

Thanks

--

David Johnstone

Senior Technical Support Engineer

Global Customer Support

• 2. Ruby Bindings for LBM

Hi Scott,

If you are still interested in using LBM with the Ruby language, we can raise an enhancement request with the Ultra Messaging product management group and see if this is something that could be added to the future pipeline.

We'd need to explain in as much detail as we can about how you would make use of the bindings, and your project requirements (so how much of the LBM library would need to be made available to Ruby).

Thanks

--

David Johnstone

Senior Technical Support Engineer

Global Customer Support

• 3. Re: Ruby Bindings for LBM

Scott, David,

I'm a programmer who specializes in performance related work. Right now i'm working in a team doing low latency electronic trading stuff, but I have bounced back and forth between high traffic website contexts, and trading work, swapping micorseconds for milliseconds.

I love lbm. I love Ruby. I love C. I think that lbm goes with Ruby about as well as my one year old nephew goes with a chainsaw- its just a misfit. lbm is the  fastest messaging implementation that I have seen, and creams the other 15 or so that I have worked with. Ruby, wonderful though it is, is the slowest language that I have ever encountered, and is clearly an order of magnitude slower than Java, C or C++ (See the TechEmpower benchmarks for objective measures). Ruby is amazingly productive, and is good fodder for a performance dude because it's so effing slow.

Of course, it is possible to call any arbitrary C API from Ruby, which means that it's possible to call lbm from Ruby. That doesn't make it a smart thing to do in the work contexts that I know, but yours might differ enormously. My two cents,

Peter