3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2022 12:23 PM by Nico Heinze

Executing workflow continously

Arun Kumar Guru

Hi,

Any idea on how to execute a workflow continuously? I need to create a workflow that brings data from Oracle source to Oracle target table. Since source is getting updated in real time i need the workflow to execute continuously (not schedule continuously). I believe there are no straight forward mechanisms other than using PWX, which is not applicable in my case. I got one work around from market place, haven't implemented it -  Workflow: Running in loops

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
      Arun

• 1. Re: Executing workflow continously
          David Lopez Cruz Guru

Hi Arun,

I think you may schedule your workflow to run continuosly, so it's going to be executed again and again.

Although in this case you need a mechanism to know that data in the source has not been treated yet.

Please, let me know if that helps you in your case.

Regards,

David.

• 2. Re: Executing workflow continously
            Arun Kumar Guru

Hi David,

Thanks for your response. Continuous scheduling will spawn out a new instance every time, which is difficult to maintain when we have to execute the job 24/7. I am looking at a single instance running continuously like a CDC workflow.

Thanks,
            Arun

• 3. Re: Executing workflow continously
              Nico Heinze Guru

PowerCenter works in either of two execution modes, either in the "normal" batch mode or in real-time mode.

Batch mode means you have some "standard" sources (relational, SAP tables/views, files, and the like) which are processed and then finished. This mode essentially reads some source data, processes it, and writes some target data.

Real-Time Mode means you have some so-called real-time source (e.g. a MQ Series message queue, some SAP R/3 IDocs, PowerExchange for CDC, and quite a few more) which delivers data in unknown intervals.

What you are asked to do is definitely a real-time requirement. Using batch-mode sessions and workflows is simply the wrong way to go here, that's all I can say. PowerExchange for CDC would probably be the best option. Or you program a Custom Transformation (programmed in C) to extract those real-time data somehow, then you can even use these data in a batch-mode session (something I've done for a customer in Germany 20 years ago, and that system still runs like hell). Or you program a Java transformation to get those data somehow.

Regarding maintenance I can only advice you to get PowerExchange for CDC, everything else might easily become a nightmare. Just my experience, I don't get paid for these statements.

That's all advice I can offer at this time.

Regards,

Nico