5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2021 1:46 PM by dan.smith@informatica.com

Remote logging CDC Express for Oracle - Remote Listener

Don Michie Active Member

We are deciding on a configuration for CDC Express for Oracle which would be (a) AIX / DB box with remote listener/log reader and logger, with sessions capturing from that box to Linux server running WF's, or (b) AIX / DB box with remote listener/log reader with separate box for logger and separate box for running sessions/WF's.

It is my understanding that for the capture side, one listener can only extract data for one Oracle SID - is this correct?   Is there a way to configure a single listener to capture multiple Oracle SID's, with that CDC being logged by multiple loggers for different sessions?

Also I would assume there is a performance hit by running our logger on a different machine?   Would there be other considerations, for example we would know the machine would need to be powerful enough to run the database engine, the capture, the logging, and provide data to the sessions.   Other considerations or restrictions we may not be considering?

Thanks for any input or guidance,

• 1. Re: Remote logging CDC Express for Oracle - Remote Listener
          dan.smith@informatica.com Guru

Hi Don,

I would suggest reading the KB below:

PowerExchange Express CDC for Oracle: Components and Data Flow

https://kb.informatica.com/whitepapers/2/Pages/141248.aspx

FAQ: Where should PowerExchange Express CDC for Oracle components run?

https://kb.informatica.com/whitepapers/2/Pages/141251.aspx

The main resource burn is normally for the logreader/logparser threads in PWX Express CDC capture, and the PWX Listener subtasks (1/CDC session) when the PowerCenter (or IICS) CDC sessions are running.

• 2. Re: Remote logging CDC Express for Oracle - Remote Listener
            Don Michie Active Member

Thanks Dan,

we cannot mount Redo on a shared drive, and we will not have ASM.   So we will have to put a listener on the DB server for capture.  I do see some references to using a single listener on the Oracle AIX DB server to capture multiple Oracle SID's, but I don't see any information as to how to set this up with CAPX/ORAD CAPI connections we need for Express CDC.

We can offload the logger to a completely separate PWX box to have DB server with listener/log reader, PWX box with logger, and PWC grid for sessions.  Or we can have just the DB server with listener/log reader/logger, and a box for PC sessions.

But what I don't know is if I can set up a single listener on the DB server to handle multiple and independent capture/SID's, and have the loggers (wherever they are) point to that listener on the DB server, but log completely separately, different PWXCCL, different CDCT, etc.   And have a listener for each PWX logger for the sessions.

So -- One listener on DB server, multiple listener/logger on PWX server, one PC grid to process many and independent WF's.   Or do we need one listener on DB server for each independent SID for capture?

• 3. Re: Remote logging CDC Express for Oracle - Remote Listener
              dan.smith@informatica.com Guru

You must have a distinct PWXCCL for each source database/SID.

While you *can* have one PWX Listener support multiple PWXCCL, I would recommend against doing so.

When you are using Remote Logging, capture registrations live at the capture-side PWX Listener - the one that you would be running on the source DBserver.

If multiple PWXCCL use the same Capture-side PWX Listener, then those environments aren't truly separate, as all of those capture registrations will be in the same CCT. 

You also can't conclusively stop PWX access for one of those "environments" (which would require stopping the capture side PWX Listener) without affecting all of them.

I would recommend that you have distinct set of

(Capture PWX Listener + DBMOVER.CFG) + (PWXCCL + Extract PWX Listener + PWXCCL.CFG + PWXORAD.CFG + DBMOVER.CFG)

for each source.

The Capture PWX Listeners would need to each have a distinct CAPT_PATH directory.

(Actually, I would probably make separate subdirectory structures under $PWX_HOME for each, so that you could completely separate everything other than the basic pieces that come with the install.)

And yes, even if you are talking about capturing from multiple PDBs that are currently in the same CDB.

• 4. Re: Remote logging CDC Express for Oracle - Remote Listener
                Don Michie Active Member

Thanks so much again, Dan, that is exactly what we needed to know, and allows us to move forward.