6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2021 8:01 AM by Nico Heinze

Folder and Group Permissions

John Lyons Seasoned Veteran

I have a folder which is assigned permissions to a specific list of users, and the "other" user has all permissions checked off, but users can still connect. What I am missing? All the users are assigned to a group which has admin permissions. Is that what is superseding the permissions assigned at the folder level? I thought it would be the opposite.

• 1. Re: Folder and Group Permissions
          user126898 Guru

Can those users that fall into the "others" user actually open assets? 

The reason I ask is this is acting like we have seen.  Even thou a user doesnt have permissions on a folder, they can still drill down into the folder and see all the assets.  But once they try to actually open something they get an error.

Now I know some people dont want them to even see things or access the folder but that is an enhancement request I know Informatica is looking at.

Thanks,

Scott

• 2. Re: Folder and Group Permissions
            Nico Heinze Guru

Administrative permission to a repository supersedes everything. So, if a user XYZ is member of a group with the role Administrator (to give an easy example), then this Administrator status overrules everything else.

That's how it's designed, that's how it works, that's correct (because administrators are expected to be able to do anything in a repository they shall administer).

So this is expected behaviour.

Otherwise please clarify what permissions this particular group actually has within that repository.

@Scott: it is very well possible to "hide" folders from users. Just make sure that these users don't have Read permission on a folder, then they won't even see that folder in the folder list.

If that's not what you meant, please clarify.

Regards,

Nico

• 3. Re: Folder and Group Permissions
              user126898 Guru

Sorry my comment was related to CDI and not PowerCenter.  Didnt see the forum location.

My bad.

Scott

• 4. Re: Folder and Group Permissions
                John Lyons Seasoned Veteran

That what's i figured. Thanks. Is there to backup just a folder?

• 5. Re: Folder and Group Permissions
                  Nico Heinze Guru

Nope. Backups can be taken solely for a complete repository.

But that's a good and valid question anyway. Many people developed a strategy to build something like a backup for a single repository. You can find all necessary information about it in the Command Reference guide (part of the documentation set for both PowerCenter and the Informatica Platform, it's part of the shared documentations) or here:

https://www.in-factory.com/en/in-sights-technics-blog/

That's the tech blog of my employer (we're an Informatica partner), and the first two entries (at the time of this post here) deal with the Why and How for "personal" backups in PowerCenter.

BTW in order to take repository backups (which I haven't dealt with in detail in the blog entries above) you don't need Administrator permission on a repository. What you need is access to the repository service and the privilege Manage Services in the domain. This combination enables you to take a backup of a PowerCenter repository or to restore it (and this user doesn't have any permission on the repository contents themselves, strange but true).

Regards,

Nico

• 6. Re: Folder and Group Permissions
                    Nico Heinze Guru

Sorry, John, my complete answer is currently being moderated. No idea why.

Short answer is: no. Long answer is: you can create an XML export of a whole folder (plus all related shared folders) using "pmrep ObjectExport -f Foldername -u Foldername.xml". For other strategies of personal backups in PowerCenter, please search for a blog entry on the in-factory.com site (the company I'm working for).

@Scott: no harm done. I'm not happy to learn that IICS behaves differently from PowerCenter at this place, but it's good to know this difference.

Regards,

Nico