3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2021 5:59 AM by Nico Heinze

XMLW_31205 ... character that cannot be written to a valid XML file

Alessandro Corti Seasoned Veteran

POWERCENTER 10.4.0

Sometime my mapping with an XML Target fails with the following error:

XMLW_31205 failed to validate element value contains a character that cannot be written to a valid XML file

Everytime there is that error, I can find a special character that element that I have to remove.

I would like to trim all the special characters that "cannot be written to a valid XML file"

Where is that list?

• 1. Re: XMLW_31205 ... character that cannot be written to a valid XML file
          Lekha G M Active Member

Hi,

Please check if the following KB article helps:
          Support

Thanks,

Lekha

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: XMLW_31205 ... character that cannot be written to a valid XML file
            Alessandro Corti Seasoned Veteran

It seems that the set of characters that cannot be written to a valid XML file is smaller than the set of characters matched by the regular expression [^[:print:]].

For example,

- the TAB character is matched with the [^[:print:]] but it can be written in a valid XML

- the   (U+001A) cannot be written in a valid XML and it is matched with [^[:print:]]

• 3. Re: XMLW_31205 ... character that cannot be written to a valid XML file
              Nico Heinze Guru

As long as you can identify a "safe set" of characters, there is a way. A little complicated at first glance, but it works like a charm.

Let's assume you have an EXP where you set up a variable port v_valid_chars of type String. This variable port must contain all valid characters that can be written to a XML target file. Havily simplified this character list contains all letters A-Z and a-z, the digits 0-9, and most of the ASCII special characters (like comma, dot, and so on).

Now you have some input port in_Value which may or may not contain "dirty" characters which you want to remove. Do it this way:

Below v_valid_chars, set up a variable port v_dirty of type String with this expression:

ReplaceChr( 1, in_Value, v_valid_chars, '')

Now set up an output port out_Value of type String with this expression:

ReplaceChr( 1, In_Value, v_dirty, '')

This way the variable port v_dirty will contain all "dirty" characters from the current input string.

Then the output port will deliver all characters from the input value without the dirty characters.

Once more thanks a million to Kieran for this great trick. You were and are a source of inspiration.

Regards,

Nico