6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2021 1:45 PM by user126898

Migration from Informatica 9.5.1 to Informatica Cloud

Asmita Joshi Active Member

Hi All,

I am exploring option to migrate on premise Informatica 9.5.1 to Informatica cloud. I have very less information on informatica cloud so thought to check on this forum.

Looking forward for your inputs.

Asmita

• 1. Re: Migration from Informatica 9.5.1 to Informatica Cloud
          user126898 Guru

There is a way to migrate from PwC to IICS thru what Informatica calls "Migration Factory".  It is a service Informatica provides to customers thru IPS.

There is no automated way for PwC customer to move mappings to IICS by themselves.  Anything on your own would be to create new mappings in IICS.

Thanks,

Scott

• 2. Re: Migration from Informatica 9.5.1 to Informatica Cloud
            Asmita Joshi Active Member

Thanks Scott!

I have one more question, where does the repository metadata reside in case of IICS? Is it hosted and managed by Informatica?

What if we are taking the IICS agent through Azure, is there way to keep repository data in azure?

My client will not want to keep data(or metadata) outside AZURE.

Asmita

• 3. Re: Migration from Informatica 9.5.1 to Informatica Cloud
              Santosh Gade Guru

Usually in IICS the metadata resides in cloud hosted by Informatica as per my understanding.

The run of the mappings will happen on the machine wherever the secure agent is installed.

• 4. Re: Migration from Informatica 9.5.1 to Informatica Cloud
                user126898 Guru

Hi Asmita,

As Santosh mentioned the metadata repository is completed hosted and managed by Informatica as part of the IICS platform.

Informatica has IICS PODS on AWS, Azure and GCP.  So in this case if the customer wants the metadata to live in Azure, then when creating a IICS ORG you would select one of the Azure PODS to host your instance.

Thanks,

Scott

• 5. Re: Migration from Informatica 9.5.1 to Informatica Cloud
                  Nico Heinze Guru

One side note: as far as I've heard, the migration tool provided and maintained by Informatica Professional Services (IPS) can "translate" app. 85-95% of all workflows to IICS.

What does this mean?

Let's suppose you have a repository holding 100 folders with 100 workflows per folder. That totals up to 10,000 workflows.

If you have a very good "translation" rate of 95%, then you end up having to re-code 5% of 10,000 workflows from scratch, meaning app. 500 workflows. And usually (because PowerCenter and IICS do not exactly match in many points of functionality) this means that you will have to not only re-implement those workflows as task flows, you probably will have to redesign those task flows. And this can become a very nasty task.

So, before going that route, you should examine - together with IPS - how many workflows can be "translated" and how complex it will be to redesign the remaining workflows. It may well be that the automatic "translation" will be done in a few hours while those 500 workflows will take months to redesign, implement, and test.

Regards,

Nico

• 6. Re: Migration from Informatica 9.5.1 to Informatica Cloud
                    user126898 Guru

Nico,

The migration effort will tell you all of this.  What can be converted, what can't and things that do require a touch and finally how long IPS will take to do so all with the numbers and cost with it. 

The customer does not actually have to do anything in the way of the conversion.

You have valid points and the capabilities between IICS and PC are almost the same now so we see a high success rate.

Thanks,

Scott