7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2021 2:29 AM by Nico Heinze

Renaming Repository Service

John Lyons Active Member

I am trying to upgrade from 10.2 to 10.4

I did the following steps convert the repository:

1)Created a new repository service in v10.2 and loaded from a backup from the 10.2 repository i wish to convert.

2)Log into 10.4 and create a repository service and used the same database credentials used in the new repository created in 10.2

3)Ran the upgrade step to convert the schema to the 10.4

Everything ran ok, but I want the 10.4 repository to have the same name as the 10.2. How do I do that?

To review:

1)backuped up RS_DEV which exists in 10.2

2)loaded backup file into RS_DEV_104 which exists in 10.2 environment

3)in v10.4, ran the upgrade on REP_DEV_104

But I want to rename REP_DEV_104 to REP_DEV

• 2. Re: Renaming Repository Service
          Karthick M New Member

Hi John,

Please follow the steps below,

1.Take a Backup of Repository REP_DEV_104

2.Change the operating mode to "Exclusive" for the REP_DEV_104 repository.

3.Delete the ABC Repository content from the Admin Console itself.

4.Once this action is complete, you can delete the Repository Service REP_DEV_104.

5.Create a new Repository with the name REP_DEV pointing to the same schema with no content.

6.Restore the REP_DEV_104 repository backup in the new Repository REP_DEV

Under new Repository REP_DEV > Actions > Repository Contents > Restore

7.After the content is restored, change the operating mode to Normal

New Repository REP_DEV > Repository Properties > Operating Mode > Normal

8.Enable the new Repository service REP_DEV.

Thanks,

Karthick

• 3. Re: Renaming Repository Service
            Nico Heinze Guru

I haven't found any way to "copy" a repository during a parallel upgrade under the same name. No chance because the "new" name already exists in the old domain.

At my current customer site I'm doing the same thing once or twice a week at present (we're in the middle of the upgrade process in three domains, DEV, TEST, and PROD).

If you have an extra database at hand which you can use at will, then the steps are a little easier to execute than if you don't have a "spare" database at hand.

Here are the steps if you do have a spare database:

1. In 10.2, create a new repository service in the spare database with whatever name you like. No contents, please. Start it in Exclusive mode.
            2. In 10.2, copy the contents of your current DEV repository to this newly created repository service,
            3. Disable the repository service and remove it from the DEV domain. But leave the DB contents intact.
            4. In 10.4, create a repository service pointing to the "spare" database. Don't create new contents. Set the repository service run in to Exclusive mode.
            5. Now when you start the repository service., the Administrator tool will complain that the repository might need an update. Do so.
            6. Now when trying to switch to Normal mode, the Administrator tool will tell you that the encryption key of the repository contents do not match the encryption key of the current domain. That's normal. Make sure that you have copied the siteKey file from the old machine to the same directoy on the new machine under the name siteKey_old, then upgrade the repository contents again.
            7. When you now switch to Normal mode, the repository service should start normally.
            8. Now is the time to copy the contents of this intermediate repository service to the "real" repository in 10.4 which of course now can have the "correct" name (namely the same name as in the 10.2 installation).

If you don't have a spare database at hand, then the only way to achieve this is via two backup files like this:

1. Create a new repository service in 10.2 with a wrong name pointing to the PowerCenter repository DB of the 10.4 domain. No way to avoid that.
            2. Copy the contents of the "real" repository to the newly created repository, either via backup/restore or via Repository Contents -> Copy From...
            3. Disable and remove the repository service from the 10.2 domain. Leave the DB contents in the 10.4 repository DB intact.
            4. In the 10.4 Administrator tool, create a repository service with the same wrong name as in step 1 pointing to the PowerCenter repository DB you have set up for 10.4. Set it to run in Exclusive mode.
            5. When you start the repository service, the Administrator tool complains that the repository contents might need an upgrade. Do so.
            6. Now when trying to switch to Normal mode, the Administrator tool will tell you that the encryption key of the repository contents do not match the encryption key of the current domain. That's normal. Make sure that you have copied the siteKey file from the old machine to the same directory on the new machine under the name siteKey_old, then upgrade the repository contents again.
            7. When you now switch to Normal mode, the repository service should start normally.
            8. Now back up the contents of this repository servce.
            9. Disable and remove this repository service with the wrong name from the 10.4 domain.
            10. Create the repository service with the correct name. No contents, please.
            11. Restore the backup file from step 8 into the newly created repository service and switch it to Normal mode.

In short: if you have a spare database at hand which can be accessed from both the 10.2 and the 10.4 machine(s), fine, use this to Copy From...

Otherwise you have to back up and restore.

Regards,

Nico

• 4. Re: Renaming Repository Service
              John Lyons Active Member

Thank you. I ended up doing the second option you listed. The ,bkup just about two hours to load (i wanted to keep the log data)

• 5. Re: Renaming Repository Service
                Nico Heinze Guru

Yes, that's what I am doing whenever I currently have to provide a new of the PROD repository to the 10.4 testers.

Glad to hear that your question is answered, sorry that I didn't have any "better" news for you.

Regards,

Nico

• 6. Re: Renaming Repository Service
                  John Lyons Active Member

You were able to conform my worst fears Just doing a double load made me think there had to be a better way

• 7. Re: Renaming Repository Service
                    Nico Heinze Guru

Not during a parallel upgrade, only during an in-place upgrade (which I despise for several reasons). Unfortunately. Not the best implementation I can think of, but hey, that's life, mean and hard to poor little consultants like us.

Regards,

Nico