2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2021 7:53 AM by Kees Hoekerd

Workflow Task Assignment to user needed before working on task

Kees Hoekerd New Member

Hi there,

I was hoping someone could shed some light on the following matter. In the attachment, you see a typical workflow task that we use, which belongs to a specific user group. The blue button with the downwards arrow should be clicked on to assign the task for this itemnumber to yourself, the individual user.

However, it's still possible to fill in fields like the ERP number and the order unit, before assigning the task. When using the audit trail, you cannot determine which user made a certain change when this happens.

Therefore, would it be possible to separate the task assignment and the task itself? Simply put, the user will have to assign the task to him/herself, before being able to fill in/ adjust fields.

Thanks in advance for any insights you could provide me with!

• 1. Re: Workflow Task Assignment to user needed before working on task
          Sathiesh M Guru

Thanks for highlighting the undesired behavior of the WebUI.

Agree it should ideally allow edits only after task assignment.

But not sure the Audit trail behavior you mentioned.

Could you pls elaborate, what username comes up in the audit trail?

• 2. Re: Workflow Task Assignment to user needed before working on task
            Kees Hoekerd New Member

Thanks for your insights, Sathiesh! I must admit that I haven't checked the Audit trail part myself before posting this. Just checked now, and the user is actually shown when changing a field before assigning the task to yourself. However, another reason why the business wants this: The task stays in the list, even if the fields are completed before clicking the assignment button. (In all fairness, if everyone agrees to assign all tasks first before doing anything, this wouldn't be a huge issue. But it can't hurt to research. )

About the undesired behavior; we use one UI template which is editable. The way we see it, we would need to use two templates, the first one (to assign the task) should be read-only and the 2nd one editable in order to fill in the fields, after accepting the task. Or do you believe this can even be solved within one template?