5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2021 9:19 AM by Karthick M

Informatica 9.6.1 will support DB Microsoft SQL server 2014

Thiru Murugan U Active Member

Hi Team,

Our current system will have Informatica 9.6.1 on Windows Operating System. We are planning to upgrade to Informatica 10.4.1.Whether Informatica 9.6.1 will support Microsoft SQL server database 2014? Please let me know in case if anyone has achieved this in your project else any pointers will be very helpful.

Thanks & Regards,

Thiru Murugan U

• 1. Re: Informatica 9.6.1 will support DB Microsoft SQL server 2014
          Nico Heinze Guru

That may depend on the exact version of 9.6.1 you work with. My PAM for 9.6.1 is for Hotfix 4, it may be that the statement about SQL Server does not refer to your hotfix version. Please open a Service Request at Informatica Global Customer Support to get final confirmation for your version.

In 9.6.1 Hotfix 4, SQL Server 2014 is supported for the domain repository and for PowerCenter repositories (only on Windows, but that's no problem for you).

However, there are several points to check for you. Here are just the most important ones.

Most importantly do you plan to perform an in-place upgrade (meaning on the same Windows servers) or a parallel installation of 10.4.1 on new servers (which I would always prefer)?

Second, did your organisation already develop a useful and concise reconciliation strategy to find out whether all your critical PowerCenter applications still run fine on 10.4.1?

Furthermore I don't think that you can upgrade from 9.6.1 to 10.4.1 directly. If memory serves me right, you have to first upgrade to e.g. 10.1.1 and then perform an upgrade from 10.1.1 to 10.4.1. The Upgrade Planner on the INFA Network web site should give you all necessary details here.

Regards,

NIco

• 2. Re: Informatica 9.6.1 will support DB Microsoft SQL server 2014
            Thiru Murugan U Active Member

Hi Nico,

We are going to upgrade Informatica 9.6.1 to 10.2 and then informatica 10.2 to 10.4.1.

we are planning for a  parallel installation of 10.2 on new server only. Possible to install Informatica 9.6.1 on latest windows OS. Whether Informatica 9.6.1 is supported for Windows OS 2019  and Domain Repository 2019 SQL server.

Regards,

Thiru Murugan U

• 3. Re: Informatica 9.6.1 will support DB Microsoft SQL server 2014
              Karthick M Active Member

No, PC 9.6.1 is not supported on Windows 2019 and Domain Repository on the 2019 SQL server

Thanks,

Karthick

• 4. Re: Informatica 9.6.1 will support DB Microsoft SQL server 2014
                Nico Heinze Guru

Neither nor. And I wouldn't waste one single second even thinking about trying any such combination. My experiences with Windows server versions and SQL Server are very clear: stick to the PAM (Product Availability Matrix), otherwise you're bound to severe trouble.

So the upgrade path probably looks like this (because - fortunately for you - 10.2 supports both Windows 2012 R2 and SQL Server 2014):

First upgrade to 10.2 on Windows 2012 R2 with SQL Server 2014.

Then upgrade to 10.4.1 on the same platforms.

Now only you can safely switch to Windows server 2019 and SQL Server 2019.

All else will bring you to trouble.

Sorry that I don't have any better news.

Having written that, it may well be that my information about the PAM for 10.2 is too old. You better open a Service Request at Informatica Global Customer Support (GCS) to get final confirmation for the upgrade path you should follow.

And once more: don't waste one single second on considering to run 10.4.1 on Windows 2012 R2. Even if the installation should succeed (and chances are it will not), it is very likely that at latest the repository upgrade to 10.2 will fail. Stick to the upgrade paths supported by Informatica, everything else will cause you nothing but grief. That's my experience from working with PowerCenter for 20 years. I mean it, I just want to keep you from harm that other customers have gone through.

Regards,

Nico

• 5. Re: Informatica 9.6.1 will support DB Microsoft SQL server 2014
                  user136699 Guru

The latest version of the PAM can be downloaded from the portal ( network.informatica.com). However, there isn't any change to the versions Nico mentioned.

We do insist ( I am in support) that the customer follow the upgrade path. This is because the upgrade handles the differences only between the versions stated in the upgrade path.

Eg. The lowest version one can upgrade to 10.4.1 is 10.0. This means that the upgrade will handle any of the changes required from 10.0 onwards to 10.4.1, not any prior versions. So, if you were to upgrade directly from 961 to 10.4.1, the differences between 961 and 10.0 or any version pre-10.4.1 will not be accounted for.

Then we have to ask the customer to redo the upgrade following the upgrade path.

-Girish