8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2021 6:13 AM by Margot Emmers

Some units are not selectable as BaseUnit, how to configure?

Margot Emmers Active Member

Hello,

I noticed that unit Kilogramm is not selectable in the field Base unit (management > units.
      I need to make a conversion from Gramm to Kilogramm.

How can I make Kilogramm selectable as a Base Unit?

Or is the conversion from gramm to Kilogramm the issue while this in configured?

I did read somewhere the baseUnit cannot be empty in the database but I checked and this is filled for Kilogramm.

Thanks in advance,

Margot

• 1. Re: Some units are not selectable as BaseUnit, how to configure?
          Andreas Bühler Guru

Since Version 10.1 the base unit column can be empty in the database. This has the same effect as having the same ID in the baseUnit field - it defines the unit as a base unit.

However, a unit is not a base unit just because of a value in some database column. Gram is a base unit because that's how it's defined in physics

Kilogram is not a base unit. Gram is the base unit for Kilogram. Just like Gram is also the base unit for Milligram.

You can always convert from and to kilogram by a corresponding calculation with the factor. It's important that you don't change the base unit of a unit, the conversion factors need to correspond to it!

How and where do you want to calculate the conversion? In the export?

Greetings

Andreas

• 2. Re: Some units are not selectable as BaseUnit, how to configure?

Hello Andreas,

Thanks for your help:

I want to define the conversion on Units level (management > units) so an automatic conversion will be in place on item attribute value level. visibile in perspective attribute assignement.

So If the feature in FGL has the unit KGM, but on item attribute level GRM, there will be a conversion on the attribute value.

For kilogram the base unit is gram

Now I want the define for Gramm the base unit kilogramm but I get the message that kilogramm is not a base unit??

Kind regards,

Margot

• 3. Re: Some units are not selectable as BaseUnit, how to configure?
              Andreas Bühler Guru

The question is, why do you think you need to put in the conversion rate, it should already be there for Kilogram.

The conversion rate is always interpreted as From the Base unit to the other unit. So the conversion is a simple multiplication/division with the factor. (A base unit has always the conversion rate 1)

Amount in BaseUnit * ConversionFactorOfTargetUnit = Amount in TargetUnit

5000 GRM * 0,001 = 5 KGM

This way you can always calculate from and to any unit which has the same base unit. This should already be in place for all convertible units in the system.

Can you please check how the units in your installation are defined? Maybe someone removed the conversion rates or created additional, possibly duplicate units?

Andreas

• 4. Re: Some units are not selectable as BaseUnit, how to configure?

Hello Andreas,

I'm afraid I'm not totaly with you :-)

For unitcode KGM we defined baseUnit GRM with converionfactor 0.001

For unitcode GRM no Base unit is defined while KGM is not selectable as BaseUnit

What happens now when on Feature group List a feature has UnitCode GRM but items below this FGL had in Item attributes a different unicode, like KGM. Is there a conversion from GRM to KGM automatically? I think not while we don't define this on Unit level.

Do I miss something? Why is KGM not selectable as BaseUnit?

Kind regards,

Margot

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Some units are not selectable as BaseUnit, how to configure?
                  Andreas Bühler Guru

Because gram IS the base unit of KILOgram.

Kilo means 1000 - so literally, a kilogram is 1000 grams. Gram is the base unit for all metric system's weight measurements.

Technically it can be calculated in either direction, either by multiplying with the factor or by division with the factor. No need to have it defined twice.

Kilogram is no base unit because it just isn't. It's nothing Product360 made up, it's how the units work.

So in case there is no automatic conversion with your feature system and item values, there might be an issue in that area - but the units are fine.

I suggest to open a support ticket and attach screenshots of your features/attributes etc.

Greetings

Andreas

• 6. Re: Some units are not selectable as BaseUnit, how to configure?

Thanks Andreas,

Clear now.

Kind regards,

Margot

• 7. Re: Some units are not selectable as BaseUnit, how to configure?
                      Andreas Bühler Guru

On behalf on my co-worker Sabrina:

Hi Margot,

if I understand correctly, you just want to the value on item attribute level converted in the unit of the assigned structure group feature. Right?

This is a build in feature in PIM.

* Open perspective Attribute assignment (items) or any other perspective containing the Item attributes view

* Make sure the attribute has an assignment to a structure group feature (= add column "Assignments" to the view)

* In the main menu open "Management" -> "Preferences". In the left column select “Attributes” and check the first check box "Show attribute values in feature unit (if assigned)" -> OK

* Maybe you have to refresh the item in order for the preference to take effect.

This will not only work for numerical data types but also for character strings.

The value will be converted and the displayed unit will change to the unit of the structure group feature.

There is no need to change any base unit.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sabrina

• 8. Re: Some units are not selectable as BaseUnit, how to configure?

Thanks for all your help.

Kind regards

Margot