3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2021 3:37 AM by Nico Heinze

Regenerate workflows post TDM upgrade

Akshay HB Guru

Hi All,

We are planning our test environment upgrade from v10.2 HF2 to v10.4 and the upgrade guide talks about regenerating workflows to update the absolute paths defined in the command tasks.

Per my initial analysis, I see a couple of workflow variables in most of the workflows that have the absolute path of the installation directory (installation directory has version hardcoded).

In the current version, I see a lot of plans in different statuses (Workflow generated, Created, Workflow generation failed, etc.). Per my understanding, post-upgrade regenerating workflows only for those plans that are in the below three statuses should suffice. The status of other plans remains as is even after the upgrade and workflows can be regenerated if required.

• Workflow generated
      • Updated
      • Completed

I am planning to get this done via a shell script. Please share your thoughts on this approach.

N.B. Even some of the plans with the aforementioned statuses have warning symbols and I have no clue if regeneration works for these plans too.

Thanks and Regards

Akshay

• 1. Re: Regenerate workflows post TDM upgrade
          Nico Heinze Guru

A TDM upgrade may always include a new repository version of the underlying PowerCenter installation.

Also (as of my not too recent personal experience) TDM has not been the most stable product in the world.

So for the sake of "safety" I would simply recreate all workflows. Honestly. All of them. No joke.

Yes, ugly, but it's a one-time effort during the upgrade process, so I would simply do it this way and be done. Not nice, but everything else may get you into serious trouble. I did have my share of fun with TDM, so I may look like overcautious, but I prefer to be overcautious than to experience unpleasant surprises of all kinds.

Regards,

Nico

• 2. Re: Regenerate workflows post TDM upgrade
            Akshay HB Guru

We nearly have 250+ plans and few plans have multiple workflows, regenerating workflows for all these plans manually is a tedious task.

I was planning to get it automated via shell script and when I tried regenerating workflows parallelly for two plans that are part of same project via command line it failed. Same went through when executed one after another.

Unfortunately, I didn't save the logs and they are overwritten now. Is this a known behavior?

Thanks and Regards

Akshay

• 3. Re: Regenerate workflows post TDM upgrade
              Nico Heinze Guru

To be honest it's too long ago for me to judge whether this is "expected" behaviour.

For the sake of safety I would create the workflows one after the other, even though they are not related by any means. As mentioned, in earlier times TDM used to be not the most stable software, and I honestly don't know whether this has improved over the past five years.

Regards,

Nico