6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2021 6:50 PM by Cyril Wu

I get some problems with deploying PWC on Kubernetes

Cyril Wu New Member

Hi everyone,

My PWC version is 10.4.1 and I want to deploy it on my RHEL 7.8, but I got some problems.

I list my steps following:

1. I download informatica_container_utility_linux-x64.zip and unzip it.

2. I had informatica_1041_server_linux-x64.tar ready.

3. I built informatica_1041_server_linux-x64.tar to docker image with attach "1.png".

4. It also built successfully.

5. I choose "Run docker image" on Kubernetes with attach "2.png", "3.png", "4.png", "5.png", "6.png".

6. But I found my Pod stopped installing with attach "7.png".

7. So I tried to solved the problem by "kubectl exec --stdin --tty infa-pod -- /bin/sh" with attach "8.png".

8. I did't find anything about java, so I unset INFA_JDK_HOME to prevent "The INFA_JRE_HOME path is not valid problem", then sh silentinstall.sh with attach "9.png".

9. I found some packages not be installed, so I yum -y update, yum -y install java, yum -y install which, yum -y install unzip, then I can run silentinstall.sh with attach "10.png".

10. When I checked service log, I found an Error with attach "11.png".

11. I find " /home/Informatica/isp/bin/infasetup.sh" according the log message, but it did't exist with attach "12.png".

I have the following questions:

(1). Why INFA_JRE_HOME is not vaild ?

(2). Why the required packages doesn't exist ?

(3). Why infasetup.sh doesn't exist ?

(4). If I want to deploy PWC automatically on Kubernetes , in installation progress the (1), (2), (3) have to be prepared before I run silentinstall.sh. what happen to my installation progress ? and how can I fix these problems ?

(5). Does anyone has experience about deploying PWC on Kubernetes ? Can you share with me ?

Thank you.

Sincerely, CyrilI

• 1. Re: I get some problems with deploying PWC on Kubernetes
          Nico Heinze Guru

First of all you must NOT use any system-wide JDK or JRE with PowerCenter. The software installs its own JRE and is certified to run only with this.

So you must make sure (BTW that's noted explicityl in the Installation And Configuration Gudie for PowerCenter) that no system-wide JDK / JRE is found in the environment, meaning not in the $PATH variable and not in $LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and in particular no $CLASSPATH variable must exist.

Why the required packages don't exist I cannot tell. I can only repeat myself, read the Installation And Configuration guide for PowerCenter and follow the steps listed there. That's the safest way to get the installation done.

Third one question: how did you unpack the .zip file? Using the Windows Explorer? If so, then please be advised that on older Windows versions (at least until Windows 8) the Windows Explorer was not able to correctly unpack the PowerCenter installer ZIP archives. It just pretended to do so, but in fact it always failed; some files were missing, some subdirectories did not exist, and so on. You should unpack the zip archive only using "unzip" on Linux.

Finally there have been some publications about installing PowerCenter on Kubernetes. As I don't work with this software, I haven't read them, but you should be able to find those articles by searching for the single word Kubernetes here on this forum.

Regards,

Nico

• 2. Re: I get some problems with deploying PWC on Kubernetes
            Cyril Wu New Member

Thank you for the quick reply.

• 3. Re: I get some problems with deploying PWC on Kubernetes
              Nico Heinze Guru

No offense intended, I am just curious: does that mean you solved your problems, or does that mean you're still struggling with the installation but don't want to read any more lengthy replies from me?

Seriously: please don't hesitate to ask more questions, we're here to help.

Regards,

Nico

• 4. Re: I get some problems with deploying PWC on Kubernetes
                Cyril Wu New Member

Hi Nico,

I read your reply thoroughly and I am still struggling with the installation.

I know it must be no env variable available on installation process, but the variable "INFA_JDK_HOME" is set by "informatica_container_utility_linux-x64.zip". So when I build PowerCenter docker image, "INFA_JDK_HOME" must be set.

PowerCenter installation is different from PowerCenter docker image installation, PowerCenter docker image is created by "informatica_container_utility_linux-x64.zip".

I unpacked .zip file by unzip in my Linux environment.

I search those keywords in Informatica KB, but no situations familiar with me.

As I see it, maybe there are some problems in "informatica_container_utility_linux-x64.zip".

Sincerely,

Cyril

• 5. Re: I get some problems with deploying PWC on Kubernetes
                  Nico Heinze Guru

Wow, then I fear I won't be of any help here. Docker installation is nothing I've ever done so far.

Good luck, may some other knowledgeable person respond here (crossing my fingers).

All the best,

Nico

• 6. Re: I get some problems with deploying PWC on Kubernetes
                    Cyril Wu New Member

Thank you, Nico. I appreciate your help to remind me to check my installation steps carefully again.