3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2021 10:55 AM by Nico Heinze

How does informatica versions work?

Chris . New Member

Hi all,

I am pretty new to the informatica world. I have what may seem like a stupid question, but I couldn't really find any information outside.

From other products I handle such as SAP, there are two types of versions, one is a major and one is a minor (patch level update). For instance there Netweaver 7.4, then within it there's SPS1-20, which are basically huge bundle of patches.

I was wondering in Informatica is there such a concept? For instance version 9-->10 is major, and version 10.x to version 10.y is a minor, like a patch update?

From what I gather, Informatica guides have used the word upgrade for just about everything, so its making it a little harder for me to understand the difference.

Best Regards,

Chris

• 1. Re: How does informatica versions work?
          Smitha HC Guru

Hi Chris,

Yes, your understanding is correct. upgrade from 9 to 10 is the major upgrade. We have 10.1, 10.2, 10.4 and 10.5 would be releasing. These are all major versions. 10.1.1/10.2 HF1/ 10.4.1. These are minor versions.

But in the guide its mentioned as upgarde.

Thanks,
          Smitha

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How does informatica versions work?
            Paolo Moretti Guru

I couldn't find any official documentation about Informatica's versioning system/convention.

Although, I believe it could be summarised in the following way, at least for PC, DQ and DEI:

major.minor.build[.revision] [HotFix <1..9>] [ServicePack <1..9>]

If you want to know more about what the differences are between them, you may want to take a look at the following posts:

=> https://network.informatica.com/thread/1960

=> https://network.informatica.com/message/230967#230967

Not all products have "revisions" and "service packs." They seem to affect only those products with a rapidly changing life cycle (e.g. Data Engineering).

There might be exceptions to the above rule. For instance, 10.4.1 is a "HotFix" release on top of 10.4.0.

Again, this is just my understanding, based on the latest releases.

• 3. Re: How does informatica versions work?
              Nico Heinze Guru

In general Paolo is right, these things have changed over time very often, and the use of the associated terms was not always consistent or easy to understand.

For example, PowerCenter 8.0 was a major version after 7.1.4; 8.1 and all its sub-versions (up to and including 8.1.1 Hotfix 5) were "minor" version upgrades of 8.0. But 8.5 had such heavy structural changes that this was considered a "major" upgrade from 8.0.

Whereas all 9.x versions after 9.0 were considered "minor" upgrades of 9.0.

Not really helpful.

Except for the "major" version numbers (5.x, 6.x, 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, and now 10.x) there's not really much of a system I ever was able to discover in the version numbering. As a matter of fact I have accepted many years ago that the primary objective of these numbers seem to be marketing reasons. That's life.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Nico