3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2021 3:53 AM by Darren Wrigley

Testing/Quality assurance of EDC Lineage(Auto & Custom) and Metadata

Mayank Raoka Seasoned Veteran

Hello Team,

As a part of validation or testing is there any way we can test whether all the metadata and Lineage is correct or not.

Metadata:

I want to do quality assurance of Metadata captured by supported scanner in EDC or unsupported by using custom metadata. One way ,I could think of is manual export at resource level and check the no of objects and all along with enrichments.

For Lineage: How we can check whether the Lineage shown in EDC is correct or not. The one way ,I can think of is pictorial view, but that not give confidence for the lineage is accurate or not.  export of Lineage is only available at table level not at column level, hence this will also not solved the purpose.

Similarly there are manual Lineage created that we can check via the uploaded excel template used for Custom lineage.

Does anyone have any better Idea or workaround ,How we can ensure the quality of metadata and lineage in EDC is accurate?

Regards,

Mayank Raoka

• 1. Re: Testing/Quality assurance of EDC Lineage(Auto & Custom) and Metadata
          Darren Wrigley Guru

interesting question.   the only way you can be 100% sure if the lineage is right, is to know what it should be to start with.

you can use the EDC api to help with validation, or DAA "Asset Lineage Links" export.  If you do, you will still need to know what the correct set of links are.  you can then diff the current result with a known good result.

i think it would be better to look for where the gaps are - like the missing links report (where reference objects are not supported), to ensure that all lineage that should be imported, is represented.

for the most part - the scanners do a good job, but there are always edge cases & sometimes new functionality that are not covered.

• 2. Re: Testing/Quality assurance of EDC Lineage(Auto & Custom) and Metadata
            Mayank Raoka Seasoned Veteran

Thanks Darren for your response.

This is something ,I am brainstorming from few days to find a better way. Currently we are using 10.4.0 version of EDC in which DAA is not supported ,I guess.

EDC api ,I have not used much, Is it possible for you to elaborate that or any documentation of how we can use that for validation.

Regards,

Mayank

• 3. Re: Testing/Quality assurance of EDC Lineage(Auto & Custom) and Metadata
              Darren Wrigley Guru

the api can be used to get any information that is stored in the catalog.  you could use a combination of objects (to get object data - facts & direct relationships) or relationships to follow any relationships (upstream/downstream or both to any number of levels where 0 means all)

that would give you a starting point for comparison, but you would need to know what the right set of links (and maybe facts) is correct