4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2020 1:04 PM by Nico Heinze

Informatica repository redundancies

mayur marathe Seasoned Veteran

Hello All ,

We are planning to migrate the Informatica application to ADF . for that we need the current details like how many redundancies are there in the workflows /Mapping /Session etc in all the folders in the repository. like duplicate mapping , duplicate object etc

is there any way to get this data using informatica metadata tables and may be any other option to get these details

Thanks

Mayur

• 1. Re: Informatica repository redundancies
          Smitha HC Guru

Hi Mayur,

Informatica provides fee utility calles metaquery, using this utility you can get  the list of mappings, sessions, worklfows folder wise.

Please refer below link for further details.

MetaQuery 10.2.2

Thanks,

Smitha

• 2. Re: Informatica repository redundancies
            Nico Heinze Guru

The question here is: can Metaquery also analyse sources, targets, and so on for structural similarities / differences? I think this is the primary question.

Mayur, please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Regards,

Nico

• 3. Re: Informatica repository redundancies
              mayur marathe Seasoned Veteran

Thanks Nico, yes you are right i just want to get like the objects in etl informatica by seeing if any mapping, object is duplicate or it has any structural similarities or used in many mappings etc so that accordingly we will plan migration . I checked repo tables and did not found anything similar. I just hot the info about the reusable seasons but that is not enough .We have huge number of workflows so it will take time to anlyze manually.we need this to estimate our migration efforts.

If anyone has done this analysis before , i need the quickest way to find the redundancies

Thanks

Mayur

• 4. Re: Informatica repository redundancies
                Nico Heinze Guru

That is not at all an easy task to achieve.

How do you define "equal"? Does this term refer to the structure, meaning attributes and their data types? Including or excluding the names of the attributes?

Including or excluding the order of attributes?

Shall different DBMS be taken into account or not?

How do you define "similar"? Does this term mean that all numeric data types should be considered "similar"? Or all CHAR / VARCHAR* attributes? Or do belong CHAR attributes to one group and VARCHAR* attributes to another group?

There is a whole lot of things to consider here. And unfortunately there's no better advice I can give at this point but to really do this.

First find definitions of "equal" and "similar" which fit your organisation's needs.

Then we can start to find an approach which works for you and doesn't impose too much burden onto your servers.

Everything else is - in my personal opinion - useless. First think, then define, and then only start to implement.

Regards,

Nico