9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2020 3:10 AM by Stefan Reinhardt

Single import mapping/configuration for multiple supplier catalogs

Neeme Loorits Active Member

Hi,

This seems like surely this capability should exist in PIM, but does it? It seems I have to specify a catalog for each import mapping and configuration. In our setting that means I'd need to build 500 identical mappings/configs that only differ in the supplier catalog. Would it be possible to specify the correct catalog per item in the import file? Have I missed something here?

Br,

Neeme

• 1. Re: Single import mapping/configuration for multiple supplier catalogs
          Stefan Reinhardt Guru

Hi Neeme,

the import mapping setup is independent from a catalog. So you can use the same import mapping to import into individual catalogs. However, it is one import operation per catalog.

Perhaps you want to explain a little more detail on the setup you have in mind since typically there shouldn't be any issue and we have many customers using e.g. a generic import mapping for imports into hundreds of different supplier catalogs in the end.

Stefan

• 2. Re: Single import mapping/configuration for multiple supplier catalogs

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the quick reply!

1. Could you explain why in mapping setting, it is not possible to leave catalog blank:

Or is it so that I can choose any catalog here and it does not actually have any effect on import?

2. In mapping configuration it is the same thing - it seems to me I have to choose a folder, I cannot just leave it empty. So even if I can have the mapping that is good for all catalogs, I still need a separate configuration for each supplier catalog?

Ideally what I would like to do is to import a file where for each item it is specified which supplier catalog it should go to. So I can essentially import items into all 500 supplier catalogs using just one mapping, one file and one configuration. But I understand currently that would not be possible?

The reason for this is that not all info the customer wants to have some data that comes from other sources (from government agencies and from master catalog) in all supplier catalogs (and thus visible to suppliers while they edit items in their catalog). The data will be loaded per item for all items, not for just one specific supplier. It would be painful to create 500 separate mappings for this or even 500 separate configurations. So if you can think of any way to simplify this, please let me know! Thanks!

Br,

Neeme

• 3. Re: Single import mapping/configuration for multiple supplier catalogs
              Stefan Reinhardt Guru

Hi Neeme,

if you do an import with 1 file it will end up in the same catalog. There is no mechanism to break up the content of a single file into various catalogs. The easiest would be to look into your source file and adjust it or break it up prior e.g. importing it through a hot folder.

It also sounds a little special to me from an overall requirements standpoint. At least I haven't heard about such a setup so far. Typically you do have supplier catalogs to map them to your SOURCES (if wanted) and one central master catalog where the combination across all these sources may merge into a single record.

I hope that makes sense.

Best,

Stefan

• 4. Re: Single import mapping/configuration for multiple supplier catalogs

Thanks, Stefan!

Your example of course makes perfect sense, but I guess in this case there is a requirement to send some enrichment data back to supplier, so they can adjust their data accordingly. So in that sense every source is also a target. It is in this case because pharmaceutical products are highly regulated and some of the info actually comes from government agencies and needs to go back to suppliers.

Breaking up the file should not be an issue. I understand that even export from master catalog can do that. Problem is that when I now drop all those 500 files in hotfolder, I also need 500 configurations to handle them, don't I? Or can a configuration also be dynamic so that one config reads all 500 files and sends them to correct folders? That would be perfect if that can be done.

Br,

Neeme

• 5. Re: Single import mapping/configuration for multiple supplier catalogs
                  Stefan Reinhardt Guru

Hi Neeme,

can I ask why exactly you need to export from master catalog and re-import into each supplier catalog again? Couldn't you flag items that need to be enhanced directly in the supplier catalog for each supplier and handle it e.g. via a task setup instead?

If not the best I can think of right away is a custom post export processing step that would do the round trip for you. You could for example also use a REST command to schedule an import rather than relying on hotfolder configs. For hotfolder configs I am not sure whether there is a possibility to make the catalog setting dynamic. I am at least not aware how to do it. Perhaps somebody else reading this has a clever idea?!

• 6. Re: Single import mapping/configuration for multiple supplier catalogs

Hi Stefan,

Sure, customer organization generated their own ID for each product and they need to send this item back to suppliers, who will then use that ID when referring to said item. Also, they want to send some additional data back to supplier, such as product life cycle status and also some additional info from regulatory agencies.

I don't quite understand how flagging items in supplier catalog would help in this case. They need some data to flow back from seller/agency to supplier.

Using REST commands seems interesting. Would you be able to give some example or perhaps just direct me to some documentation on this so I could try it?

Br,

Neeme

• 7. Re: Single import mapping/configuration for multiple supplier catalogs
                      Stefan Reinhardt Guru

Hi Neeme,

check the REST API documentation under Management API --> Import API.

You can specify details on an import under entitySpecificData.

The property to set the catalog is called "container" and can be added there.

Another option is to look into the "Send to Supplier Portal post export step. That one would allow to have an export automatically send to supplier portal as attachment in a timeline message for the corresponding supplier and might be a light weight alternative.

• 8. Re: Single import mapping/configuration for multiple supplier catalogs

Hi Stefan,

To follow this up, I've succeeded to import an article from a file into a supplier catalog using REST, so that is great! My next problem is, how do I chain those REST requests (for example as export post-processing commands) such that let's say I split the export into files by supplier catalog (of the main supplier) and upload all those files.

Now for each file upload I would need to take the file id from the POST response, store it in some variable, then run a GET request to get the internal id for the corresponding supplier catalog and store it in another variable, then use both of those variables in the json body of the final POST to run the import. Can all this be done in the export post processing? Perhaps parameterized scripts that use curl for example? Or is there a better way?

Br,

Neeme

• 9. Re: Single import mapping/configuration for multiple supplier catalogs
                          Stefan Reinhardt Guru

Hi Neeme,

great to hear. Good follow up question for which I don't have the perfect answer at my finger tips however. Hoping that somebody else from our community can share ideas to get that further and would be very interested as well.

Stefan