4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2020 11:31 AM by David Cribbs

Mapping Showed Successful but didn't load all records

Diane Royer Guru

I have a mapping that I set to a Salesforce API of Bulk API because it was really slow and timed out with the Standard API.  When I ran the mapping with the Bulk API, it ran and showed that it loaded all records.  However, when I checked the records in Salesforce, many of them were missing (apparently never loaded).  There are 3,000+ records that we are running through this mapping.  There are three lookups in the mapping to check for pre-existing records.  Then it goes through a router and any existing record is updated and all other records are to be inserted.  That ran in a matter of minutes.  When I noticed the missing records, I changed the Salesforce API back to Standard API and set the batch size to 1.  I ran the mapping again and it ran for over an hour before I finally stopped it.  Do you have any thoughts or suggestions?  Why would it say it completed successfully when it didn't load all of the records?  What would cause it to run for hours with the Standard API?

I have used 2 lookups in a flow before and have not had any trouble.  This is the first time I've added the third lookup in, but I don't understand how that could have made any difference.

• 1. Re: Mapping Showed Successful but didn't load all records
          Ashwini Ramakrishna Guru

Hello Diane,

Salesforce Standard API processes up to 200 records in one API call. However, SFDC BULK API processes about 10,000 records in one API call.

If the SFDC object contains large data sets, then it is advisable to use SFDC Bulk API. The performance of the task on Informatica Cloud Services (ICS) would be much faster when loading large data sets using Bulk API when compared to the same job run on Standard API.

Using Standard API may cause an organization to use more of their allotted API requests per day than is necessary when processing large volumes of data.

Refer the following link for more information on BULK API:

https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.api_asynch.meta/api_asynch/

So Bulk API will be usefull for loading high volumes that's difference you see in performance

Reduce Salesforce API calls being used by tasks follow below KB:

https://knowledge.informatica.com/s/article/498416

• 2. Re: Mapping Showed Successful but didn't load all records
            David Cribbs Guru

We have noticed that even using the bulk API, that it takes a while for the records to update.  I think there is a queue on the Salesforce side.  I am not sure if this can be seen, but we have queried the data looking for the last update date, and the the number of records that update over time slowly goes up.  There is plenty I do not know on this, but this is what I have observed.

This also makes the case, that when there is a child/parent record where one is dependent on the other, that it may make sense to load one set of data first via the standard API, so that you know it is there first.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Mapping Showed Successful but didn't load all records
              Diane Royer Guru

That makes sense.  We ran the import several different times and checked the records.  Eventually, everything really did update.  I assumed it was because the last run of the import did it, but it sounds like it would have gone ahead and done it anyway.   I was going on the understanding that when it said it updated all the records, it had finished, but maybe it had just finished adding them to the "queue".  Thank you for your response.

• 4. Re: Mapping Showed Successful but didn't load all records
                David Cribbs Guru

Yeah, I am not sure if that is documented or I/we just mentioned it, but it took us several days of testing to conform some of that.  In your above example, if you set the standard to have the larger batch size to 200 (that is the max) on the standard API, it would be faster using the standard API and then you could see done is done.  3000 records does not seem that much, but I am not sure what all you are sending.  I also think connection speeds, agent load, and even time to load from the source could all be a factor.  How much?  I am not sure, but it could all add up.  You may be content with bulk and that is fine too.

There are some times where I create cases and then turn around and update a table in our source database data, to show a case was sent.  In these cases, I tend to use the standard API, so that I know the cases have been created, and are not queued up.  Also, we have a large upsert of several objects in the morning to capture yesterday's data.  We start this at 6:30 AM and it takes about 30 minutes to send it all, but it appears that it is not finished until closer to 9:00.  We do some of the smaller loads (like cases and even real time updates) later in the day so that we are not stepping on ourselves.

We could probably streamline it a bit and only send deltas and other things, but it is what it is for right now.