7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2020 7:38 AM by Markus Auer

Using Synonyms in 10.4.1

Kenneth Guyette Active Member

It appears that the way synonyms work has changed with 10.4 (we are on 10.4.1) and I am trying to understand how to use it for our scenario.  We have a glossary that has synonyms for some of our glossary terms.  We really would like to use the synonyms for search purposes but per the attached KB it indicates that you cannot have multiword synonyms.  I do not want to use the synonyms to associate the business terms as the business title as I want to use the original glossary term.

Is there anyway around this?

As an example....

Case Pack, Ship Pack => Inner Pack Quantity

...The first two are my synonyms

• 1. Re: Using Synonyms in 10.4.1
          Venkatesh Srinivasan Seasoned Veteran

Hi Kenneth,

Synonym file upload can be used for two purposes.

1. To define a synonym for an EDC asset for easy search

2. To associate a business term to an EDC asset as a business title

When you define synonyms for search purpose, avoid multiple words as it is not supported currently.

Use " CasePack, ShipPack => Inner Pack Quantity"   instead of

" Case Pack, Ship Pack => Inner Pack Quantity"

Hope this helps!

• 2. Re: Using Synonyms in 10.4.1

Yes I saw that in the description of the synonym file.  My follow up question is if I build the synonym file that way and someone keys in Case Pack with the space (because most people would not remove the space) would it still pick up the synonym?

• 3. Re: Using Synonyms in 10.4.1
              Markus Auer New Member

Hello,

unfortunately not, see my test screenshots in a 10.4.1.1

So we see that already inn is showing inner pack quantity which is good.

See the results

Also when I copy and paste "Inner Pack Quantity" in the search bar its and hit enter it's working fine.

Then I created the synonyms and uploaded them

By entering CasePack we do not get suggestions.

However the Search Results are perfectly fine

But by the search for Case Pack unfortunately we do not get a result.

I think it's a known limitation.

If needed let us check if we can either add this example to an existing Feature Request or create a new one, please do this within a Support Case.

Also if you have further quesitons please let me know.

Best regards

Markus

• 4. Re: Using Synonyms in 10.4.1

Thanks for the info.  I don't have time to check this right now but if I were to build the synonym file with an underscore for Case Pack(i.e. Case_Pack) would that be treated as a single word?  Of course the challenge there is knowing when to use underscores vs not when searching for words in the catalog. 

Also, if I build a synonym file how can I delete the entries that I no longer want once I upload it.  I may test a few things and then want to get rid of them.  I think I may have seen somewhere that process is not really straight forward.  Please advise.

• 5. Re: Using Synonyms in 10.4.1
                  Richard Jorgensen Seasoned Veteran

In 10.4.1 every time an synonym upload is performed, it overlays what was there previously and does not append. 

I hear there is a feature request choose to append or replace, but don't know if or when that is planned.

• 6. Re: Using Synonyms in 10.4.1
                    Venkatesh Srinivasan Seasoned Veteran

You can use the '/1/catalog/searchconfigurations/synonyms Delete symonym mappings' internal API to delete the synonym mappings.

• 7. Re: Using Synonyms in 10.4.1
                      Markus Auer New Member

Hello,

underscore works

unfortunatel as you said. the (Power)-User hopefully knows that he has to replace in this case the space with an underscore.

Best regards

Markus