4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2020 1:49 PM by Nico Heinze

How to just get notified for DB connection failures in session ?

Kulveer Singh New Member

How to just get notified for DB connection failures in the session ? The objective is to send an email to ServiceNow to create a ticket automatically for the DB team to look into the issue.  How did you address this issue?

• 1. Re: How to just get notified for DB connection failures in session ?
          Nico Heinze Guru

As you explicitly ask for DB connection failure, I dare to assume that you are not interested in any general information about failure notices. So I'll stick to your exact question here.

There is no way out of the box to get this task implemented. You will have to scan the session log for this particular error message after a session failed.

This can be automated e.g. using the so-called Operations API (formerly known as the Load Manager API, in short LMAPI), available in C or Java. Here you can request the name and path of the session log file, then you can read that session log and scan for the DB connection error messages (which vary from DBMS to DBMS, but there are not too many different message types for this purpose, so this is manageable).

There is an alternative, but this would require you to write quite a bit of C++ code and integrate this into each and every session in your system.

Regards,

Nico

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to just get notified for DB connection failures in session ?
            Kulveer Singh New Member

Thanks, Nico, Your answer makes perfect sense but I am having a hard time finding the sample code or java doc for Operations API (formerly known as the Load Manager API, in short LMAPI). If possible, can you attach the zip file here?

Thanks

KS

• 3. Re: How to just get notified for DB connection failures in session ?
              Kulveer Singh New Member

I was thinking - is there a way to intercept or replace on S_On_failure and inject own custom S_on_custom_failure which can do all the work which I want to perform?  Is it even possible?

• 4. Re: How to just get notified for DB connection failures in session ?
                Nico Heinze Guru

Not that I know of. I've never heard anything about such a feature.

The IDP (Informatica Developer Platform) is the API collection for PowerCenter in C and Java. You can find a description plus sample source code within the Documentation Set for PowerCenter. Look for PDF files starting with DP_ (DP = Developer Platform).

Not every Documentation Set seems to contain this file, at least the 10.4.1 Documentation Set doesn't have it. You might want to raise a service request at Informatica Global Customer Support to get a download link or the PDF file itself.

Regards,

Nico

1 of 1 people found this helpful