8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2020 11:31 PM by Nico Heinze

Checkin crash resulting in all sources got wiped

Gene Gobus New Member

Hi all!

Yesterday i tried to perform a version control checkin in the powercenter designer tool. After selecting all the objects, and pressing the checkin button, the designer tool crashed. So, i restarted the designer and would have expected to be able to perform the checkin procedure again, but............all of the (latest versions) sources i tried to checkin were gone!!!

My last checkin was two weeks ago, and in the meantime i've been developing new stuff. Always did a ctrl-s (save), so i expect the new sources to at lease be saved in the repository. The workflows i created still contain the session objects, but with empty references to mappings...

After the crash, i contacted the admin guys, and they are puzzled as well.

In de domain navigator they noticed that one minute all my sources were locked/in-use and a few moments later the locks were gone and so was the source info. Querying the repository on last saved date resulted in nothing found between now and 2 weeks ago.

Two weeks of developing just gone.........i can't believe it.............

I am totally devastated....

Doesn't ctrl-s at least save my sources to the repository??

What do you think could have happened?

Anyone else has experienced such a strange event?

Does anyone have suggestions on how to retrieve the lost sources?

Hopefully there is a solution for this............

Need help.....please...

Powercenter version 10.2.0 hotfix 2 0401 1911 (R187 D96)

• 1. Re: Checkin crash resulting in all sources got wiped
          Nico Heinze Guru

Never seen this behaviour before.

Could you (or your admin) please run a repository query to look for Deleted objects not yet purged? Maybe your "new" source definitions have been deleted but not yet purged; then you should be able to recover them.

Other than that open a service request (a "case") with Informatica Global Customer Support (GCS). If anyone can help you, it's probably those guys.

And yes, Ctrl-S saves the current status of whatever you have changed since the last Ctrl-S to the repository tables. But if the check-in process has a bug, then this won't help.

It MAY have happened that during the check-in process the version status information (kept in OPB_OBJECT_STATUS, if memory serves me right) became corrupted and so the Designer doesn't display these source definitions anymore. But that's indeed something for the GCS engineers to check.

Good luck,

Nico

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Checkin crash resulting in all sources got wiped
            Gene Gobus New Member

Hi Nico, thanks for your reply.

For now, the admins decided to restore a backup that was created at the end of the previous week, connect to it and extract the objects that were "in-use", "locked" or whatever status an object gets when it's checked-out.

I will pass on your suggestions, but since this all my be very time consuming (and our project is quite in a hurry and under a lot of stress (as always :-) ), the above mentioned solution hopefully will help us get back on track within a few hours.

For now, my main concern is getting my objects back somehow as quickly as possible ;-)

The admin/dba guys restored a backup database, but are unable to connect the tooling to it.

Is it possible to "export" objects to xml (similar like using the informatica tooling) directly on the database, by using queries? I'm rather interested in querying my objects (lets say user Gene) from the backup database, with last saved date greater or equal to "24 august 2020". Probably server names, domain names, schema names and stuff also need to be added? Wish i was an admin right now with knowledge of getting stuff from the database without tooling :-(

Kind regards,

Gene Gobus.

• 3. Re: Checkin crash resulting in all sources got wiped
              Nico Heinze Guru

Hi Gene,

unfortunately a DB backup works only if it's restored to the exact same host name as the original DB server of the repository. The repository name is stored within the repository along with the host name (and IP address), so any mismatch will be "punished" by the repository service not being able to start up.

From this point of view I always recommend taking repository backups using the command-line utility pmrep; DB backups only work if they are restored (as mentioned above) to the same IP host name.

And no, there's no way (which I know of) to extract the data directly from the repository DB to XML files or anything similar.

Maybe they would be willing to perform a "temporary" restore in the following manner:

1. Stop the repository service.
              2. Backup the DB contents somewhere.
              3. Restore the DB backup from last week.
              4. Start the repository service.
              5. Back up all objects which you need or may need. pmrep can be your friend here because you can save a whole folder to one XML file.
              6. After you have saved all your work from last week, stop the repository service again, restore the "real" contents backed up in step 2, and restart the repository service.

That is the only way to get the DB backup from last week working.

I'm sorry that I don't have any better news to offer.

Good luck and regards,

Nico

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Checkin crash resulting in all sources got wiped
                Santosh Gade Seasoned Veteran

Is this the first version of the workflow or a previous version exists . If a previous version exists , that can probably exported from Rep Mgr and can be imported to restore this .

• 5. Re: Checkin crash resulting in all sources got wiped
                  Nico Heinze Guru

But only if the repository DB is still intact. Which is not the case here because they have restored a DB backup to a new DB server, if I understood correctly.

Regards,

Nico

• 6. Re: Checkin crash resulting in all sources got wiped
                    Santosh Gade Seasoned Veteran

Possible Nico. Based on How I read the above. Looked like the DBAs restored in a diff DB so it may be possible they have the original intact. However my understanding can be incorrect as well.

• 7. Re: Checkin crash resulting in all sources got wiped
                      Gene Gobus New Member

Hi Nico,

I don't think they are even going to consider this option. Way to many projects in development. Thanks so much for your comments! I'm going to start doing some two weeks of rework....ah well, there are worse things in life :-)

• 8. Re: Checkin crash resulting in all sources got wiped
                        Nico Heinze Guru

But maybe you can convince your admins to not take DB backups anymore after this experience. Taking a repository backup in the Administrator tool or via the command-line tool pmrep imposes far less burden onto the DB server and is the only safe way to restore a repository to any DB server. Maybe by now they see the need for "real" repository backups instead of DB backups... I'll press my thumbs for you.

Regards,

Nico