8 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2020 12:36 AM by Dharmendra Reddy Nara

Synchronizing flat files

Sharmin Islam New Member

If I want to synchronize a flat files (because the data has changed), it seems the tool needs to re-upload the document when I use the Browse and Upload option.

Is there any option where the tool can automatically take the new file as input (without the need for manually uploading it) if I specify the location of the file?

Can the synchronization work with the scheduler (if I schedule a it can the tool auto-upload the file)?

• 1. Re: Synchronizing flat files
          user126898 Guru

I want to be sure you are using "Informatica Data Quality".  What you describe above does not sound like the tool.  If you could provide a screen shot we can confirm.

thanks,

Scott

• 3. Re: Synchronizing flat files
            user126898 Guru

Perfect.  So in the analyst tool of IDQ you are doing exactly what is needed.  This operation done by the analyst is the only way for you to update the data.

If you want an automated way to refresh the data, you could use IDQ to create a mapping that loads the source to the target file based on a schedule.  This way when users go into analyst and do a data preview they are always looking at refreshed data.

thanks,

Scott

• 4. Re: Synchronizing flat files
              Sharmin Islam New Member

Thanks Scott! Are there any instructions for doing what you described?

'you could use IDQ to create a mapping that loads the source to the target file based on a schedule'

• 5. Re: Synchronizing flat files
                user126898 Guru

You might start here.

Mapping Specs: Preface

Mappings specs allow users in the analyst tool to define data integrations with a drag and drop feel.  For a simple A to B this may work just fine.  Once you get use to the interface you can start to merge datasets and apply rules to it. 

thanks,

Scott

• 6. Re: Synchronizing flat files
                  Dharmendra Reddy Nara Active Member

Sharmin Islam

Why do you want to synchronize the flat file ? Is it due to structure change or just the data change ?

If it is structure change then you need to follow the procedure of re uploading.

If it is data change then let me know whether your previewing data in Developer Tool or Analyst ?

If Developer Tool :

Open the Flatfile object -> Click on Advanced Tab -> Goto Run-Time:Read properties -> Modify the Source File Name and Source File Directory with the New file details.

If Analyst Tool:

Open the Flatfile object in Library-> Click on properties and look for the File Path details.

Replace old file with the new file as per the File Path details.

Let me know in case of any concerns.

Kind Regards,

Dharmendra Reddy.

• 7. Re: Synchronizing flat files
                    Sharmin Islam New Member

Hi Dharmendra,

I am trying to use Analyst for a data change on a flat file. When  I go to properties to view the file path, it shows something like the screenshot. Do you know how to access the file path i.e is it a location different than where I had originally uploaded the file from?

• 8. Re: Synchronizing flat files
                      Dharmendra Reddy Nara Active Member

Sharmin Islam

Here you must have synced the flatfile using Analyst.

Open Admin console -> Analyst Service -> properties -> Run Time Properties -> Flat file cache Directory.

Login to server and check for the files in the path. If you see any file perform head <filename> and check whether your able to view the data or not.

Now place the new file in same location and rename the new file name with above file name.

If this process is confusing, open Developer Tool -> Open Flat file Data Object -> Select Advance properties

Modify the file path and filename with the new file path and file name and save it.

Now come to Analyst (Logout and once again login), open the properties and you can see the details you specified in Developer Tool.

Kind Regards,

Dharmendra Reddy.