2 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2020 4:15 AM by Dimitris Karistinos

Mask two fields in seperate databases with the same values

Dimitris Karistinos New Member

Hi team,

I have a request that I need achieve consistent masking for name fields in two seperate databases.

The issues here are:

1. There is no relation between the tables in the two databases. for example one table contains credit card information and the other contains phone bill reated data.

2. Almost the same names exist in both databases. A person shown in the credit cards table does not necessarilly exist in the phone bill database

3. Finally, a person might be shown multiple time in the phone bill database he might not have a record in the credit card database.

So the goal here is to do consistent masking for names for example

Jack Jones should always become Tom Taylor wherever we find that entry.

I am currently trying my luck with TDM 10.2 thinking how to use dictionaries on that.

Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Thanks

Dimitris

• 1. Re: Mask two fields in seperate databases with the same values
          Abishek M Active Member

With the TDM you can use the Substitution Masking using the dictionary . For achieving the consistent results the following conditions should be met :

a. Enable repeatability and use the Same 'Seed' value in the dictionary . Use the same rule for both the Tables or create two separate rules with same configuration. 

b. Both the tables , the data type and the length of the columns should match.

c. Both the tables should have the exact same records :

i. Case sensitivity should match.

ii. Spaces will be treated as character , hence the spaces should match.

Example :

Jack Jones - 10 characters . In all the tables it should be same.

If the above conditions are met , we can expect a consistent result across multiple tables using TDM .

• 2. Re: Mask two fields in seperate databases with the same values
            Dimitris Karistinos New Member

Hi Abishek,

Tahnk you very much for your input.

This is pretty much what I gathered also from other discussions in the forum.

A few notes though, after a test I did:

• I used two tables that had totaly different names
            • I tried to mask columns that contained last names using dictionary
            • The columns had different names but same data type and length
            • Tables had different number of lines

Masking worked and achieved consistend masking for the same last names. I run the process multiple times and got the same results.

No i wonder how this will work in a larger scale and if dictionaries are stable enough as a solution.

Thanks

Dimitris