6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2020 10:53 AM by user136699

OS upgrade impact on Informatica application

Mohamed Asif Active Member

Dear All,

We have Informatica application 10.x  in a Linux environment .

Unix team is planning for a OS upgrade and the upgraded OS version is compatiblewith informatica 10.x application.

This is a pure case of os upgrade  in environment where we have informatica application hosted and we are not going to touch/upgrade anything related to informatica.

I want to know will there be impact OS upgrade on informatica application  or we  can start informatica application without any issues directly after os upgrade,

Thanks,

Asif

• 1. Re: OS upgrade impact on Informatica application
          Nico Heinze Guru

From your question I understand that you have already checked the Product Availability Matrices of your current and the future version regarding OS / infrastructure support (e.g. DB clients, DBMS versions, and so on). So I'll focus on the other points that come to my mind.

It depends on your infrastructure, namely on these points:

- Do the scripts you use for starting / shutting down anything use features which have changed from e.g. 10.1 to 10.4? This can be identified by studying the Command Reference guide for the Informatica Platform.

- Do you need different shared libraries in e.g. 10.4 than in e.g. 10.1? This can only be found out by checking what OS requirements those libraries have.

- Do you have to upgrade any DB / system driver, such as an Oracle client, the SAP R/3 client libraries, or whatever, due to the system upgrade? That can be identified via the Product Availability Matrices.

Also you MAY have to adapt / change / rewrite Java code you have inserted e.g. in Java Transformations or as JAR files used in Java Transformations. Or, if you have programmed your own connectors, you may have to adapt / recompile them as well. But that should be clear after studying the respective manual for adapter programming (I don't know its name).

I do not claim this list to be perfectly exhaustive. This is what comes to my mind.

Regards,

Nico

• 2. Re: OS upgrade impact on Informatica application
            Mohamed Asif Active Member

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your reply.

Case here is say i have 10.HF2  on RHEL6.

Assume that i want to upgrade os from RHEL6 to RHEL 7 and need to have same 10.2HF2 which is compatible with RHEL7.So we are just upgrading the OS and not going to perform any changes/upgrade to informatica 10.2 HF2 application.

My question here even though i dont do any change in 10.HF2 will OS upgrade impact my informatica application which was previously was on RHEL6

Thanks,

Asif

• 3. Re: OS upgrade impact on Informatica application
              Nico Heinze Guru

Not the Informatica installation itself. But this assumes that both versions (10.2 and 10.2 HF2) are both supported on RHEL 6 and RHEL 7; if they are not both supported on both RHEL versions, then the question is NOT whether you can go this route (because then the answer is simply NO), the relevant question is which upgrade you can perform how.

Reviewing the latest PAMs for 10.2 and 10.2 HF2 reveal that 10.2 is supported on RHEL 6.5 onward and RHEL 7.0 onward, 10.2 HF2 is supported on RHEL 6.7 onward and RHEL 7.3 onward (not RHEL 8.x, but that's no point for you).

So we first need to know which 6.x and which 7.x version we're talking about.

Second be aware that each Informatica installation brings its own JRE. These are incompatible and have to be handled like "black boxes". If you have any code which relies on that JRE, then you have to check yourself whether these changes affect your applications.

From the Informatica side I don't see any problems as long as you check that 10.2 and 10.2 HF2 are both supported on your RHEL 6.x and 7.x versions. But you have to check for DB clients and so on whether these are supported on these RHEL 6.x and 7.x versions as well.

Regarding the application services in your 10.2 installation I don't see any problems with this route.

Regards,

Nico

• 4. Re: OS upgrade impact on Informatica application
                user101600 Guru

I would highly recommend that you check the PC PAM.

If the linux kernel is upgraded and the new version of the linux kernel is not compatible with PC version that you have then PC will no longer  work.

You will even get errors during the installation pre check.

• 5. Re: OS upgrade impact on Informatica application
                  Shivanga Srinivas Bandaru Active Member

Hello Asif,

Please do perform a tomcat cleanup (KB 501418) before starting the services.

Thanks,

Shivanga

• 6. Re: OS upgrade impact on Informatica application
                    user136699 Active Member

As long as the OS version is certified for the version of Informatica, there shouldn't be any impact. Just make sure you do the tomcat cleanup as Shivanga mentioned.

- Girish