7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2020 8:47 AM by JoAnn Kulcyk

How to incorporate metadata changes into TDM project

JoAnn Kulcyk Active Member

We are using TDM to mask tables provided by a 3rd party vendor's product. When new releases of the product are installed, there are many changes to tables and columns. What is the best way to incorporate these changes into TDM? The new release resides in a UAT database for testing. We are looking for a "best practice" scenario for migrating from the existing project to one that incorporates the changes. Do we start over and import the UAT datasource into a new project, which implies reassigning masking rules, rebuilding plans, ...?  Do we import metatdata from the UAT database into the existing project and approve the changes? Does this imply multiple datasources for the project, and does that matter? It seems that at one point I ended up with duplicate table names and duplicate masking rule assignments when I accidentally imported metadata from an ODBC connection with a different DSN Name.

This situation also applies to creating a project in one environment for testing and then moving it to production.  Our test datasource names are "xxxDEV", but our production db names are "xxxPROD". Do we start over and build a production project? The xxxPROD metadata should be the same as the xxxDEV.      

Thanks,

JoAnn

• 1. Re: How to incorporate metadata changes into TDM project
          Nico Heinze Guru

Not an easy question.

I haven't worked with any TDM 10.x version so far, so it might well be that my knowledge about this area is outdated and no longer correct.

In 9.7.1 (the last TDM version I've worked with) there was no provision at all to cater for such needs. In other words, whenever underlying structures changed, the respective metadata needed to be re-imported, and all rules for changed attributes had to be applied / changed manually (because the old rule assignments cannot be "updated" automatically by TDM).

Assuming that this has not changed in 10.2, I fear you will have to re-import all affected table / view / file structures and change the rule assignments of all affected attributes manually.

It may be possible to export the respective plans to XML files and build some process which reads and processes these XML files in order to apply some (if not all) changes automatically. To be honest I don't know of any customer who has done that, but then I only have worked with four customers so far which used TDM (and this is 2-4 years ago in all cases).

About the data sources: what exactly do you mean? Does this mean that the ODBC data sources for source and target entities have different names in DEV and PROD? Please clarify.

Regards,

Nico

• 2. Re: How to incorporate metadata changes into TDM project

Thanks for the reply. We are at TDM 10.2 HF2, but from what I can tell there have been no changes to this process.

As for datasources - Each TDM project has one or more datasources from which metadata was imported. One time I imported metadata from the same set of tables present in an existing project using an ODBC connection to the same SQL Server database used originally, but I connected with an ODBC DSN that had a different name. I ended up with duplicate tables from different datasources in the project. If I assigned a masking rule, it was assigned to each table with that name. We would normally define different ODBC DSNs for different LPAR/database combinations, but we are trying to figure out if we need to keep the ODBC (datasource) name consistent when we import metadata. We have the same question for iSeries DB2 tables, where the datasource name is taken from the database name, and we may have the same schema/metadata in multiple databases.  Maybe the real question is whether or not you can add metadata to an existing project from a different datasource? Thanks!

• 3. Re: How to incorporate metadata changes into TDM project
              Nico Heinze Guru

Phew, I wish i had done more with TDM during the past three years...

Absolutely not sure. Let me explain one of my unclear points:

In PowerCenter there's a provision for source definitions where you can "group" them depending on the "database" from which they originate. This way it is possible (though rarely necessary/useful) to have distinct source definitions with the same name but differing structures in the same PowerCenter folder.

And this "group name" is the name of the ODBC data source (on the PC running the PowerCenter clients) via which you have imported these source definitions.

Is that what you're experiencing?

Then the remedy should be easy (though it consists of two distinct steps):

First you have to edit the source definitions in PowerCenter and "rename" them; give them all the same "database name", and lo and behold, they belong to the same "group" within the tree of source definitions.

Second you can name the "owner" of a table (or set of tables) in TDM just as well as in PowerCenter. There's one entry field per source table where you can name the table owner (or schema name, I don't recall the exact name in TDM), and here you can enter e.g. the Db2 instance name or schema name or user name or whatever.

If that's not what you meant, would you please be so kind to post a screenshot? That would clarify the matter.

Thanks,

Nico

• 4. Re: How to incorporate metadata changes into TDM project

... And this "group name" is the name of the ODBC data source (on the PC running the PowerCenter clients) via which you have imported these source definitions. Is that what you're experiencing? 

Yes, that is what's happening, and we have different ODBC data sources for different databases.  One database is the latest version of the other.  We have circumvented this situation by importing from the TDM connection name instead of the Power Center Repository. We have to change the connection definition to point to the new database when we want to upgrade from the new metadata.

I have not been able to find a way to change the owner/schema name of a TDM table, but this is less important if we do the metadata import as described above. Thanks for your help!

• 5. Re: How to incorporate metadata changes into TDM project
                  Nico Heinze Guru

In PowerCenter it's easy to change that group name: just edit the source definitions (unfortunately in the Designer you have to do that all manualy) and rename it; the second line of the screen form which pops up for renaming is the "group name".

Does that help?

Regards,

Nico

• 6. Re: How to incorporate metadata changes into TDM project
                    Nico Heinze Guru

BTW honestly I have no idea how many of the "real" experts working for Informatica participate in this forum.

It might be worthwhile to contact your Informatica Sales representative (or, even better, the Informatica Sales Consultant responsible for your organisation if you know this person) to get an authoritative answer from the Data Security group at Informatica (assuming this is still the name of the group). These people should be able to respond.

Regards,

Nico

• 7. Re: How to incorporate metadata changes into TDM project

We are doing that, also. Thanks!