4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2019 8:46 AM by Craig Hulett

Deleting all versions of an object from the command line?

Craig Hulett New Member

I've asked this question of support but thought I would ask the community as well.  We have several versioned repositories with a plethora of totally obsolete objects in them as this project has evolved over time. I volunteered to look into the possibility of totally removing them using a script and (I assumed) "pmrep" functions from the command line... only to find it doesn't really seem possible. Most of the KB articles on the subject show it as a manual task and was really trying to avoid that, the goal being a reproducible process where a list of objects (mappings, sessions, workflows primarily) can be removed as we work our way up the food chain. Found a "DeleteObject" function but it doesn't work against a versioned repository. There's also a "PurgeVersion" function but it looks like the objects need to be in a deleted status first.

So here wondering if anyone has automated anything like this in the past or if someone can suggest a path forward for me?  Heck, even willing to consider doing SQL deletes directly in the repository database if what needs to be done is documented somewhere. Worst case I'll just give a list of things to someone, have them sit down at the Repository Manager and manually remove them all one by one. By one.  Thanks.

PowerCenter 10.2.0, Oracle repository btw.

• 1. Re: Deleting all versions of an object from the command line?
          Nico Heinze Guru

Pre-note:

No SQL queries allowed for that. Informatica never publishes SQL queries to change repository contents, so that's completely ruled out; Informatica clearly forbids mingling with the repository contents "manually".

Having written that, in one of my recent projects we've implemented that by some completely different approach. We were facing the same issues as you (DeleteObject doesn't work with versioned repositories, PurgeObject cannot remove all kinds of objects, and so on).

In the end we went a completely different road. For each folder to be deployed (or, in your case, kept), we create an XML export of the contents we want to keep (in our case based on workflows to be deployed), create a new folder, import the XML file into this folder, validated everything, and - in case validation was 100% successful - removed the original folder and renamed the newly created folder to the original folder name.

This can be completely automated, and it will remove many of the old objects.

Regards,

Nico

• 2. Re: Deleting all versions of an object from the command line?
            Craig Hulett New Member

Thanks for the reply!

Sorry, that bit about deleting stuff from the repository was with tongue firmly in cheek out of frustration for something I thought would be pretty straight-forward - I'll just go find and script up the pmrep commands for this... yeah, no, not so much. And in spite of being told I could find a way to use PurgeVersion for this, I've not found that to be true yet.

Interesting approach... hadn't thought of it yet in spite of doing something like that for YEARS with relational tables when the quantity to delete far outweighs what you need to keep.  The only "downside" I can see initially would be a loss of all history on the saved objects, they would all look to be brand new all over again. I'll certainly keep that in mind as an option, however.

Thanks again,

-craig

• 3. Re: Deleting all versions of an object from the command line?
              Nico Heinze Guru

Regarding the version history there's one thing to keep in mind:

While the repository contents (after having copied most recent objects to the newly created folder) look as if there's no history, you can simply keep the XML export as the history. Meaning you only keep a history of objects which actually have been deployed, no more, no less.

Isn't that a nice prospect? A clean history, no objects missing, no superfluous objects?

Regards,

Nico