8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2020 12:15 PM by Asmita Kesarwani

How to migrate Infa Domain from 9.0.1 to 9.6.1 ?

Joseph N Active Member

Hi All,

Please help me with process of migrating Infa domain 9.0.1 to 9.6.1.

Can we migrate using Admin Console?

Any specific steps to follow after migrating domain.

I heard we can migrate domain from 9.6 to 10.2 using Admin console. Not sure with 9.0.1 to 9.6

• 1. Re: How to migrate Infa Domain from 9.0.1 to 9.6.1 ?
          Nico Heinze Guru

That depends on a whole lot of details.

Please first indicate the following few details as a starting point:

- What's the operating system (incl. version) of 9.0.1?

- What's the operating system (incl. version) of 9.6.1?

- Repository DBMS in 9.0.1 and 9.6.1 incl. version?

- Which DBMS client (incl. version) do you use / want to use in these environments?

- What Informatica products do you use? List all of them, please.

Again, this is just the starting point.

Also, who told you that an upgrade can be done via the Admin Console? And what exactly did this person mean?

Last not least: do you intend to migrate to 9.6.1 as the "final version", or is this just an intermediate step for migration to 10.2?

Regards,

Nico

• 2. Re: How to migrate Infa Domain from 9.0.1 to 9.6.1 ?
            Joseph N Active Member

Thanks a lot Nico!!

Below are the details in bold text.

We are upgrading Informatica from 9.0.1 HF2 to 10.2 version.

Please first indicate the following few details as a starting point:

- What's the operating system (incl. version) of 9.0.1?

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.11 (Tikanga).

- What's the operating system (incl. version) of 9.6.1?

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.7 (Maipo)

- Repository DBMS in 9.0.1 and 9.6.1 incl. version?

Existing env: Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.2.0 - 64bit Production

New env: 12c

- Which DBMS client (incl. version) do you use / want to use in these environments?

- What Informatica products do you use? List all of them, please.

PowerExchange

MetadataManagerService

WebServiceHub

shared

ISPPlugins

AnalystService

ReportingService

ModelRepositoryService

DataIntegrationService

WebAppApplicationService

Tutorial

DQContent

AdministratorConsole

-----------------------------------------------

Again, this is just the starting point.

Also, who told you that an upgrade can be done via the Admin Console? And what exactly did this person mean?

This question is about upgrading repository after taking a back up of file in lower env. are reading it from Admin Console in new env.

I read somewhere that Informatica versions 9.5/9.6 support repository upgrade. My question is... can we migrate domain too Similarly after taking a back up lower env. and reading it from higher env.

Last not least: do you intend to migrate to 9.6.1 as the "final version", or is this just an intermediate step for migration to 10.2?

9.6.1  is an intermediate step to go to 10.2.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: How to migrate Infa Domain from 9.0.1 to 9.6.1 ?
              Nico Heinze Guru

Thanks for the details, that clarifies a lot to me.

Unfortunately the answer is not easy because you have a fairly complex environment.

First a few words about the single repository upgrades.

It is correct that you can upgrade most application repositories within the Informatica domain (definitely valid for PowerCenter repositories and model repositories) via the Admin Console of the "next" version. Here's one sample outline of the necessary steps:

1. Create a backup of the PowerCenter repository in the "old" version.

2. In the "old" version, restore this backup file to an empty DBMS schema / database (depending on your setup). This involves creating a new repository service without contents; restoring the backup file; and deleting the repository service without deleting the actual DB contents.

3. Create a new repository in the "new" version having the same name as the repository service created in step #2 above, but create it without creating DB contents. Make sure that this repository service points to the DB schema where the backup file has been restored into.

4. The Admin Console will automatically ask you to let it upgrade the repository contents. Click Yes. The Admin Console will upgrade the repository contents.

5. Switch the execution mode to Normal and recycle the repository service.

You will have to execute these steps for each and every application service.

Now things become ugly for two reasons: PowerExchange (which one? PWX for mainframe? For SAP? Something else?) and MM. In fact the upgrade of PWX can become very difficult depending on your actual setup. And MM is something I cannot tell anything about, this is not my area of knowledge.

Also things will become more difficult thanks to the Linux kernel versions. This is not an easy thing because you have to take due care that each Informatica software version is run on the correct Linux version(s).

Next point is the DB upgrade. Frankly spoken I would first upgrade the Informatica environments to the latest version before touching the DB. This is the safest way to get everything up and running. If you try to mix the DB upgrade with the Informatica upgrade, you are almost safe to place a bet that you will get into severe trouble which will take weeks to recover from. Keeping the DB upgrade separate is far safer and easier to perform than anything else.

Another question is whether you would want to perform in-place upgrades of all the installations or whether "fresh" installations on new machines would be safer. In my experience I would always prefer "fresh" installations in parallel to the existing installations. Your network administrators, however, will be very unhappy with this approach because it means more work for them. Nonetheless this is in almost all cases safer to perform than in-place upgrades. And be it "only" because rolling back the whole upgrade in case of severe trouble is so much easier this way.

Not to forget that upgrading an existing domain is an art in itself. I would never even try it, it simply doesn't make much sense. It is far safer to install the next version from scratch on some "clean" machine and re-build your existing environments on these new servers. But yes, that costs more money because you will need more machines for some time. But it's simply so much safer to go than any other route, and so in the end it might save you quite some money and time.

And don't think that such an upgrade can be done in a few days. Several weeks of planning and preparation are quite normal, sometimes months can be necessary (I've had more than one case of each kind). The actual process of upgrading the application repositories can be done within a few days (or maybe even hours, if you're lucky), but ONLY if preparation work is done appropriately (that has worked for me in the past several times).

Long story short end: I would advice you to hire some experienced consultants (e.g. from Informatica Professional Services) to have this upgrade planned and performed. Leave this to persons who can judge the impact on each and every detail and who have the resources (such as GCS and R&D and experienced colleagues) to perform this stuff. Don't take this lightly, and rest assured that only very experienced administrators should do that.

Regards,

Nico

• 4. Re: How to migrate Infa Domain from 9.0.1 to 9.6.1 ?
                Joseph N Active Member

Thanks a lot Nico once more for response!

Thanks for the steps 1 to 5 for repository migration.

I am just trying to know if we can do similar migration of domain from 9.0.1 to 9.5/9.5. that is.. by taking backup of domain db and reading it from admin console in 9.5/9.6.

I know there is  provision of similar method of domain migration from 9.5/9.6 to 10.2.

Thanks in advance,

Joseph N

• 5. Re: How to migrate Infa Domain from 9.0.1 to 9.6.1 ?
                  Joseph N Active Member

Sorry Nico!!

Forgot to mention below point in my response above.

We are going for a side-by-side installation and migration and not in-place migration/upgrade.

Thanks

Joseph N

• 6. Re: How to migrate Infa Domain from 9.0.1 to 9.6.1 ?
                    Nico Heinze Guru

As of my experience it doesn't make much sense to try upgrading the domain. If you're fine with a side-by-side installation, you can simply take the existing installation and create a batch script (employing infacmd.sh ListServices and some more) to re-create all those application services (of course the order of services is important, so you probably will have to edit the generated script); this will save you from the hassle to create each and every application service manually in the newly created domain.

Backing up and restoring the domain is only useful for a disaster recovery of an existing domain. It's not a suitable tool to "replicate" an existing domain for upgrade purposes. Again, as of my experience. Other people might have a different point of view on this one.

Regards,

Nico

• 7. Re: How to migrate Infa Domain from 9.0.1 to 9.6.1 ?
                      Smitha HC Guru

Hi Joseph,

If you are looking for cloning the exixting server, you can follow the steps mentioned in the  below KB article.

https://kb.informatica.com/howto/6/Pages/6/181800.aspx

Kind Regards,

Smitha

• 8. Re: How to migrate Infa Domain from 9.0.1 to 9.6.1 ?
                        Asmita Kesarwani Guru

Hi Joseph,

As Smitha mentioned in case if you want to clone you can use the KB she mentioned and there after you can proceed to upgrade the new cloned environment to the new version you want provided you keep all the configuration as per the PAM of that version.

Thanks,

Asmita