8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2020 6:59 AM by Nico Heinze

How to populate global oracle temp tables from power center.

suresh bandaru Active Member

Hi All,

Have this use case where in i need to invoke stored procedure which in turn insert the data into global oracle temp tables

and then read the data from global temp table and insert into final target table.am able to call the proc using stored procedure or sql transformation in etl mapping  but dont see the data in global oracle temp tables though etl job got succeeded . Guess that etl uses separate db session while running the job and close the session after the job success.so global oracle temp tables dont preserve the data.

Could anyone please tell me on how to do this in etl? can i create another dummy proc on the top of original procedure and execute the dummy from etl.

Thanks

Suresh

• 1. Re: How to populate global oracle temp tables from power center.
          Nico Heinze Guru

Temporary tables are bound to one single Oracle session, as far as I understand it. You cannot access their contents from a different Oracle session.

Each SQ, each LKP, each SQL transformation, each SP gets its own DB session when running a PowerCenter session. So indeed you cannot access the data in a different Oracle session which you inserted e.g. via a SP.

Why is it necessary to load the data into a temp table first and then write them to the "real" target table later? To ensure that data sets are complete?

If that's the reason, there are better ways to ensure that. It MAY look as if these other ways are more complex than your idea (which might run fine under normal circumstances), but in the end maintenance efforts probably become easier by other means.

Regards,

Nico

• 2. Re: How to populate global oracle temp tables from power center.

Thanks Nico for the explanation. As you mentioned, each SQ, each LKP, each SQL transformation, each SP gets its own DB session when running a Power Center session.

am calling the proc and inserting the data into  target table from  temp tables and all these are done in SQL transformation (script mode) as I had given 2 statements in single sql file and passed it to the script name column in SQL transformation. Guess its same db session that power center uses to run the proc and insert the data from temp to target table.  Please correct me if am wrong.

Thanks

Suresh

• 3. Re: How to populate global oracle temp tables from power center.
              Vlad Ponomarenko Guru

Hi,

Your sql file must be like this

Begin

insert into TABLE_TEMP  ...;

insert into TABLE_TGT select ... from TABLE_TEMP ... ;

commit;

end;

If you put additional commit between inserts then your DDL for TABLE_TEMP must contain
              ON COMMIT PRESERVE ROWS;

Regards, Vlad

• 4. Re: How to populate global oracle temp tables from power center.
                Nico Heinze Guru

Correct; if you execute the statements from a SQL Transformation, they are executed via the same Oracle session.

Please beware of two points:

First - as mentioned by Vlad - the temp table must be created "correctly".

Second you have to make sure that the undo / redo logs are large enough for the whole load (and trust me, quite a few DBAs will want to kill you for such a design).

Regards,

Nico

• 5. Re: How to populate global oracle temp tables from power center.

Hi Vlad,

Here is the sql statement that gets executed from SQL Transformation.

call ESP_CR_ALTERED_ROWS(i_TableNm => table_nm, i_StartDate => start_date,i_EndDate => end_date, i_NoDuplicates => true);

insert into TABLE_TGT select * from  TABLE_TEMP;

Commit;

The first statement invoke the procedure ESP_CR_ALTERED_ROWS which in turn insert the data into global temp table 'TABLE_TEMP' (ON COMMIT PRESERVE ROWS) .

second statement reads the data from  'TABLE_TEMP' and load into TABLE_TGT.

When I verified the data  for  'TABLE_TEMP' in data base after running the workflow ,its empty.

when I ran the proc directly in the data base , this temp table has data.  Don't have any control on these all these global temp tables  as they are owned by different team and cant change them to normal tables. Please advice.

Thanks

Suresh

• 6. Re: How to populate global oracle temp tables from power center.
                    Vlad Ponomarenko Guru

Hi Suresh,

You can never view data in GTT (global temporary table) generated in a workflow in another DB tool (sqlplus, SQL developer, etc.). It is the one of the main feature of GTT.

If  TGT_Table has no new records add some debug rows to procedure (or it's clone) to be sure that it works correctly without error or exceptions. May be the reason in  datatype of input parameters may be in privilegies and so on.

Regards, Vlad

• 7. Re: How to populate global oracle temp tables from power center.
                      Jothimurugan Vadivel New Member

Hi Suresh,

We do have the same problem. Can you let me know how you solved this issue

• 8. Re: How to populate global oracle temp tables from power center.
                        Nico Heinze Guru

With all due respect, but isn't it all available in this thread already?

What information do you miss?

There is no "resolution", you have to redesign your approach if you want to do it with PowerCenter and you insist on using a temp table. Vlad has explained how to do it.

Regards,

Nico