6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2020 8:58 AM by Anurag Chourasia

Import of Lookup and Characteristics in PIM

Raman Srivastava Guru

Hi All,

I can only see Lookup value in PIM Import,there is no option showing for Lookup and Characteristics in Import PIM Repository although Entity Lookup and Characteristics are active in repository.

I know there is feature of Integrate Environment and Extract environment through which we can load reference lookup value but I cant automate it

So I required mapping of Lookup and Characteristics which can be used in hotfolder.Please help

• 1. Re: Import of Lookup and Characteristics in PIM
          Stefan Reinhardt Guru

Hi Raman,

so you can import lookups and their values using the import as in your screenshot.

You can import characteristic values based on the model setup and directly assigned on item level as well.

If you want to have the meta model for characteristics in the system you will need to work with integrate/extract environment functionality as well as directly within the Web UI.

Future versions will also carry possibilities to manage the environment transfer processes via Service API call. Both integrate and extract is in the works here already.

Stefan

• 2. Re: Import of Lookup and Characteristics in PIM
            Matthias Schrode New Member

Hello Stefan,

we will have a large meta model for characteristic and are looking fo a way to "import" it instead of maintaining it manually in the Web UI. If I understand you correctly in your comment above, we can use the integrate environment functionality for this.

Can you please clarify the following:

1. Can we use extract environment and use the excel files contained in the zip file as template to add new lookups, lookup values and characteristic meta model with the integrate environment functionality?

2. If so, when using integrate environment, do the files contained in the zip file have to contain the complete set of lookup/lookup value and characteristic meta model or is it allowed to only specify new entries for each entity?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Matthias

• 3. Re: Import of Lookup and Characteristics in PIM
              Stefan Reinhardt Guru

Hi Matthias,

the environment transfer feature is designed to extract the meta model of characteristics and all lookup lists from one system and integrate the same settings into another. If you do that through the UI you will receive a ZIP that contains lookups and the characteristics model in Excel format to be carried over into the other system.

To your questions:

1. Can we use extract environment and use the excel files contained in the zip file as template to add new lookups, lookup values and characteristic meta model with the integrate environment functionality?

While this is not the actual use case with the feature itself it would be possible to add additional things in the Excel to be loaded into the target system as long as you comply to the formatting and semantic rules for the file (since even for actual data written to these files the potential target system would not know where it is coming from).

2. If so, when using integrate environment, do the files contained in the zip file have to contain the complete set of lookup/lookup value and characteristic meta model or is it allowed to only specify new entries for each entity?

The integrate environment process will add new lookups and or characteristics and try to overwrite existing ones wherever it is allowed and not creating conflicts in the model. So a sub set of data should also work in these realms.

Hope that clarifies.

Best,

Stefan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Import of Lookup and Characteristics in PIM
                Anurag Chourasia Guru

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for update. We have a requirement where we need to setup more than 3000 characteristics Metadata in application.

Can you please let me know, how can we do that.

I understand that we have Extract and Integrate environment feature however to achieve that also we need to setup Characteristics at-least once in application so that same can be extracted and migrated to next environment.

Can you please help me how we can do that metadata setup other then manual configuration.

Regards

Anurag Chourasia

• 5. Re: Import of Lookup and Characteristics in PIM
                  Stefan Reinhardt Guru

Hi Anurag,

a possible approach (more practical, less fully recommended) could be to say extract environment in one system with only 1 category and 1 characteristic available. Then take the extracted ZIP and use the Excel sheet directly within to build out the whole model in there rather than using the UI (which would be the official recommendation).

If you keep a valid structure inside the Excel sheet you can repackage that again and use it to integrate your results into any environment.

Regards,

Stefan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Import of Lookup and Characteristics in PIM
                    Anurag Chourasia Guru

Thanks Stefan. That is really helpful