4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2020 5:26 AM by Jochen Schimpf

File Server Funcd doesn't connect

Daniel Molinski Guru

I'm not sure why, but the media manager server filled up with MT_Funcd.exe processes until it consumed all resources and crashed.  Investigating further I could determine that it will only run properly if I manually execute the start_funcd.bat.  If it starts from Process watcher (when process watcher is run either as a service or in automatic mode in front) it doesn't appear to be able to connect, and just fires up another instance to try again.  See screenshot.

This is is only happening in our development environment since updating to 8.1.1.  Test and Production environments are running fine.  The only difference is that there's no dedicated file server in the dev environment - volume 0 is on the same machine.

Any ideas what I can look at?

• 1. Re: File Server Funcd doesn't connect
          Ralph81 Guru

Hi Dan,

please check if the service is calling the bat or the exe. I´ve seen such issue when the exe is called instead so the funcd will not initialized correct.

Best Regards

Ralph

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: File Server Funcd doesn't connect
            Daniel Molinski Guru

I had already confirmed it was calling the bat file, but went to check again in case I didn't see it right the first time.  Fortunately I wasn't losing my mind - it's calling the bat.   However this time I noticed a typo on the port number (11000 instead of 11100 ...) and correcting that addressed the problem.

• 3. Re: File Server Funcd doesn't connect
              Ralph81 Guru

Hi Dan,

the bat should contain the default port 11100 which should also be called be the Process Watcher Service.

The Problem is often, that the FUNCD will not be closed if you close the Process Watcher so the process till remain and blocking the port.

If you are in the Task Manager show the column of "command line" so you can see what is active.

Best Regards

Ralph

• 4. Re: File Server Funcd doesn't connect
                Jochen Schimpf Active Member

Processes like MT_Funcd.exe and cmd.exe are started as multiple instances and the server is overloaded due to the communication port(s) in the ProcessWatcher settings are invalid, thus the Process-Watcher gets no response from the funcd(s) and continuously starts them as new individual process instances.

To solve this, stop the ProcessWatcher service, then restart the ProcessWatcher application (i.e.not as a service) in order to access the "Funcd" tab in the ProcessWatcher presettings. Adjust the port settings for the monitored Funcd(s) according to the port(s) used in the Funcd start script(s) StartFuncd.bat