3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2018 3:15 AM by user193227

Informatica upgrade from 9.5.1 to 9.6.1 on same Unix box

user193227 New Member

Hi,

We have the version 9.5.1 of Informatica installed on a Unix box and planning to upgrade to 9.6.1. We also need to be able to do regression testing which means to be able to run workflows separately in both the version after installation. Is it possible to have two version of Informatica on the same unix box, created with the same UNIX account, and then run workflow in both the version separately?

Thanks,

Sreenesh

• 1. Re: Informatica upgrade from 9.5.1 to 9.6.1 on same Unix box
          Reza Joemrati New Member

Hi Sreenesh,

It's possible to run multiple versions of Informatica on Unix. Keep in mind,you have to use different port number ranges, otherwise the domain will not start up. Also, create different installation folders under different Unix users. If you have done that, you should safe to run multiple Informatica versions..

• 2. Re: Informatica upgrade from 9.5.1 to 9.6.1 on same Unix box
            Nico Heinze Guru

To add to Reza's response, make sure that the environment variables (such as $PATH, $LD_LIBRARY_PATH or whatever is appropriate in your environment, $ODBCHOME, $ODBCINI, $INFA_HOME, etc.) are all set differently for the two environments.

As of my experience - as stated by Reza - you can run two different versions under the same user account, but there are quite a few ways to mess up either installation if you do not pay extreme care.

The safest way I found (and even this way you can easily foul up everything) is to insert some statements in your .profile such that you are asked whether you want to run in environment 9.5.1 or in environment 9.6.1; for example, "read" a shell variable and invoke

.  env951.sh

if the answer was "log on to 9.5.1 environment", resp. invoke

.  env961.sh

if the answer was "log on to 9.6.1 environment".

This also has the advantage that you can easily "switch" between these two environments from the shell prompt by simply issuing either of the two commands above.

Again, it can be done, but it is dangerous. Even though I know what to do, I once almost messed up the older installation: I started a certain shell script which (I don't recall why) needed some absolute paths, and so I accidently changed some files in the older environment (because I wanted to start this script in the second installation). Be careful.

Regards,

Nico

• 3. Re: Informatica upgrade from 9.5.1 to 9.6.1 on same Unix box
              user193227 New Member

Thanks Nico for your reply,  I will try the same way as you have mentioned and will see how it goes and let you know.