8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2018 10:59 PM by Ralph Wittig

Media Manager performance

Yuri Faustov Active Member

Hello. I have sutuation the same as in this link:

https://kb.informatica.com/faq/7/Pages/18/507170.aspx?myk=media%20manager%20pipeline%20performance

I read the answer on that question but I have another one question.

Why we see a lot of free resources of server performance?

Our customer ask us why he need to create another one server while base server loading doesn't reach 30%.

• 1. Re: Media Manager performance
          Ralph Wittig Guru

Hi Yuri,

how is the sizing look like. How many Workstations, how many Worfklow Managers, how many Derivatives and so on?

For example check out

https://kb.informatica.com/faq/7/Pages/21/533626.aspx

If you only running 1 Workstation without any bigger derivative processes, the ressources are not used.

Hint: Most ressources are only used during the convert of Image Magick are running!

Best Regards

Ralph

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Media Manager performance

We have 1 Workstation with 1 Workflow manager and 7 derivatives for each asset.

i.e. we use 1 dedicated server for MediaManager needs.

but if we load 2000 assets it takes a lot of time for processing, but the same time, server shows low resources utilization (no more than 30% cpu and low memory utilization).

Our question how we can enlarge resource utilization on one server and shorten processing time without adding new equipment.

• 3. Re: Media Manager performance
              Ralph Wittig Guru

Hi Yuri,

you can install more then one Workstation on the same Server (PIM8 and above). So for Example you can install 6 Stations with 6 Workflow Managers on one Server and use parallel Workflows to process your images. In that case also 6 Convert processes with around 2GB will be executed that is what is shown in the KB!

Important is to use Call Workflows! Do not copy any workflow with the same Event "Modfiy" or "New" so a bit of redesign is needed.

So please check out the "Related Documents" in the KB.

Best Regards

Ralph

• 4. Re: Media Manager performance

Hi!

I have another one question. Now, when I have installed the second workstation in the one server, I have changing of behavior after put picture in the database. I have workflow which works after put picture in the database. Earlier I used to have event "Has a new media object been created?" and it was work, even when I put picture second once with the same name, but had other content (My workflow had worked and derivatives are created). Now I have changing of behavior. I haven't got event for working my workflow, if I put picture over previous with the same name (overwrite).

Can you give me cue, how I can get old behavior with worked event for owerwrite action?

• 5. Re: Media Manager performance
                  Ralph Wittig Guru

Hi Yuri,

also Overwrite will trigger a NEW Event, so it must be something wrong with your process.

Please take also a look on the Support KB Videos which shows how Call Workflow works.

Also you can turn on the Logging to check.

Workflow Basics in Informatica Media Manager 5.8 (PIM 8) - Session 1

Informatica Media Manager Workflow Basics - Call Workflows (Session 2)

Event Tables for Workflow are FPROTOKOLL and F_WFLCALL which can be checked to see what is going on. FPRO_ACTION shows the Trigger TYP and FPRO_XCN_KEX the ID of your asset

Best Regards

Ralph

• 6. Re: Media Manager performance

Thanks a lot, Ralph!

Now all is working as we wanted!

• 7. Re: Media Manager performance
                      Mohamed Oubelkacem New Member

Hi Ralph

i have the Same Problem

and i have created 4  station but i get just 500  Imagees  x 7  derivatives pro day

how can i get a help of the support

Thank you

• 8. Re: Media Manager performance
                        Ralph Wittig Guru

Dear Mohamed,

I hope all that VS* Workflows are CALL Workflows and located on different stations in a order that make sense?

Also if you do not use any Workflow on any Station, lock it because that can cause a Stuck!

All MQ Workflows should not be located on a Workstation where NEW or MODIFY is not triggered!

Do not use more than one NEW and one Modify Workflow and do not use the mixed mode!

Also you should use more then one Pipeline for preview because if there is a mass upload that will be the bottle neck!

Build the process like a tree where your NEW and Modify are the tree trunk and the Call workflows are your branch.

Also it can make sense to create all derivatives in one big Call Workflow!

Best Regards

Ralph