5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2018 12:43 PM by Scott Johnson

Control M Schedule for informatica workflows

Satyajit Rout New Member

Hi,

Any one has implemented controlm scheduler for informatica workflows in Inofrmatica 10.1.0 version?

What are the approach? Any documention would help full

Thanks,

Satyajit Rout

• 1. Re: Control M Schedule for informatica workflows
          Milagros Nunez New Member

You need to create a unix/ batch script that call pmcmd commad with  workflow name and return 0 for successful completion or error code for unsuccessful ones.

the beauty about CTrl m is that it let you escalate and create support ticket.  Hope this help

for example in windows:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you will  have variuables and parameters come into your script.. just giving  you th ecommand

pmcmd_exe startworkflow  -d %ThisDomain% -sv %IntServer% -u %INFA_USER% -pv INFA_PSWD -f %PM_FOLDER%  %pm_workflow%

if  %ERRORLEVEL%==0 goto JOB_SUCCESSFUL 

if exist %ERRORLEVEL% goto JOB_FAILED

:JOB_FAILED

set ReturnCode=-1

echo %Job_TimeStamp% START WorkFlow %pm_folder%:%pm_workflow% failed. Return code: %ReturnCode%  >> %LOG_FILES_DIR%\%pm_workflow%.log

EXIT %returnCode /B

:JOB_SUCCESSFUL

set ReturnCode=0

echo %Job_TimeStamp% START WorkFlow %pm_folder%:%pm_workflow% successful. ReturnCode: %ReturnCode%  >> %LOG_FILES_DIR%\%pm_workflow%.log

EXIT %returnCode /B

------------------------------------------------------

make sure to encrypt the password using

<informatica directory>\\server\bin>pmpasswd <password you want to encrypt>

then set variable

INFA_PSWD=oPbIEG58C0OJEfJ+iYX+Zw==

--------------------------------------

Also in Crtrl M - you will check the value return by your script and determine next action.

• 2. Re: Control M Schedule for informatica workflows
            Kunal Kharat Seasoned Veteran

Hi Satyaji,

The main work of controlm is to schedule tasks.

You can setup controlm to run unix commands on a server.

Informatica workflows can be run using the pmcmd commands as well.

Using controlm you can schedule jobs to run the pmcmd commands on Informatica servers to start/stop workflows.

Regards,

Kunal Kharat

• 3. Re: Control M Schedule for informatica workflows
              Satyajit Rout New Member

Thanks for your reply. But i don't want to create the script instead i want to use control-m agent and plugin at control-m server and call informatica services to trigger the job which will give me flexibility to design the  ETL job to trigger?

Have you guys implemented this concept?

• 4. Re: Control M Schedule for informatica workflows
                Satyajit Rout New Member

Thanks for your reply. But i don't want to create the script instead i want to use control-m agent and plugin at control-m server and call informatica services to trigger the job which will give me flexibility to design the  ETL job to trigger?

Have you guys implemented this concept?

• 5. Re: Control M Schedule for informatica workflows
                  Scott Johnson Active Member

The control-m agent interacts with the web service hub that can interact with the PowerCenter env.  I have setup many control m jobs using it.  You can configure the jobs to start a workflow from start, start from a session, recover and each control-m job has access to the Informatica workflow and session log so it gives prod support a single point to monitor everything. 

The biggest design consideration is how control-m bills.  You pay per job.  So it the traditional cmd line world you could have 300 workflows each calling a single session and the cron or other cmd line scheduler could just rip thru calling them all in parallel or series at no cost.  but control-m you need to look at bundling as many sessions into a workflow as you can or it can get pricy very quickly.

Also control m lacks some dynamic-ability (spelled way wrong sorry).  say you are running a workflow using thr concurrent option so you can call that workflow multiple times to have multiple parallel instances running , at the cmd line you start the same workflow passing in a workflow run instance name/id.  control m you have to have 2 jobs flows. 

So depending on how complex your scheduling is going to get, sometimes using the cmd task in control -m does give you more flexibility and is better. 

All depends on what you are doing.  Hope the insights help.