3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2017 12:16 AM by Nico Heinze

Converting DB2 to SQL Server

Stephen St. Germain Active Member

Good Morning,

I can't seem to find a KB on converting DB2 repositories to SQL Server.

I am doing an upgrade from Informatica 9.6.1 Hotfix 3 to Informatica 10.1.

Would you please point me in the proper direction for Informatica's best practice for converting DB2 to SQL Server?

Thank you!

Steve

• 1. Re: Converting DB2 to SQL Server
          Nico Heinze Guru

Don't. It doesn't make sense.

Install your fresh 10.1 system with SQL Server as your repository DB system.

Back up each individual repository in DB2; restore them (in the same Administrator tool and version, that's important, everything else won't work) in your SQL Server machine (you have to create another repository service for each such copied repository); remove all those newly created repository services in the 9.6.1 Administrator; create them in the 10.1 Administrator, each one pointing to the SQL Server database holding the copied contents of the respective 9.6.1 repository; and upgrade each single application service repository in the 10.1 Administrator tool.

All steps are listed in one or the other forum thread.

Regards,

Nico

• 2. Re: Converting DB2 to SQL Server
            Stephen St. Germain Active Member

Nico,

Would you please point me to the threads for the steps needed for SQL Server?

Thank you.

Steve

• 3. Re: Converting DB2 to SQL Server
              Nico Heinze Guru

I don't have a list myself, I would simply search for "migrate PowerCenter repository database" and see what I find.

Here's a very rough overview:

- Create repository backup in 9.6.1 HF3.

- Restore this backup in 9.6.1 HF3 in a SQL Server database.

- Remove the repository service but leave DB contents intact.

- Create repository service in 10.1 without creating contents; point it to the SQL Server DB where the restore had been executed.

- When starting the repository service, the Administrator tool will ask you to perform a repository upgrade; let it do so.

- Set the repository service to Normal mode and restart it.

Regards,

Nico