4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2017 1:21 AM by Nico Heinze

power center designer doesn't start

kam tsui hu New Member

Hi

on my computer (windows 10) i have installed le version

All works fine but since few days Power Center Designer and Power Center Workflow doesn't start (always running the start page). The other client (Developer, Repository Manager and Power Center Workflow Manager) are ok.

It's enough to uninstall all version?

Thank you

Kam Tsui

• 1. Re: power center designer doesn't start
          Nico Heinze Guru

One potential cause of trouble would be if you try to run different client tools from different versions at the same time, e.g. a 9.5.1 Designer and a 10.2 Workflow Manager; this most likely will not work.

Was this the case here?

Regards,

Nico

• 2. Re: power center designer doesn't start
            kam tsui hu New Member

No i worked with only one version in the same time. The error was generated on the activating a proxy and perhaps a old version of Symantec. Now all client work fine.

Thank you for your time, regards

Kam Tsui

2017-11-05 11:43 GMT+01:00 Nico Heinze :

power center designer doesn't start

reply from Nico Heinze

• 3. Re: power center designer doesn't start
              user140848 Guru

Hi Nico,

I've never had issues running tools from different versions at the same time; this is something I always have to do when we're preparing for an upgrade, and my understanding was that it was supported. Right now I have designer 9.6.1, workflow manager 9.6.1 and 10.2.0, workflow monitor 9.6.1 and 10.2.0 all open and no issues. Obviously the 9.6.1 installation and 10.2.0 installation are in different folders.

What sort of issues have you seen in the past?

Sacha Roscoe

• 4. Re: power center designer doesn't start
                Nico Heinze Guru

Hi Sacha,

I dimly recall that we've had trouble on Windows 2000 PCs running the 8.1.1 SP5 and the 9.0.1 HF2 clients in parallel. It might well be that these issues arose only on Windows 2000, I can't tell for sure.

And yes, of course you need both clients in parallel during an upgrade, no question. It has turned into a habit of mine (see above) to shut down all clients of one version before starting another version.

This also helps in not mixing up versions. Once I managed to edit a mapping in 9.0.1 and wondered why this change in mapping was not reflected in the session; until I finally recognised that I had the 8.1.1 Workflow Manager open and not the 9.0.1 Workflow Manager... typical PIBKAC.

Cheers,

Nico