4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2017 8:31 AM by sunny K

Unique substitution masking in TDM

sunny K Seasoned Veteran

Can some one please help me with below scenario.

1. I have different plans that needs same substitution masking for a column. Can we use the same substitution dictionary file and run the plans in parallel?

2. If we can use the same substitution dictionary and run the plans in parallel, I would like to understand how the substitution masking component will keep track of the SNO in the dictionary file and the values it is substituting.

Appreciate your help in advance.

• 1. Re: Unique substitution masking in TDM

1. I have different plans that needs same substitution masking for a column. Can we use the same substitution dictionary file and run the plans in parallel? - Yes you can. Make sure that the shared storage table option is selected as "Yes"

2. If we can use the same substitution dictionary and run the plans in parallel, I would like to understand how the substitution masking component will keep track of the SNO in the dictionary file and the values it is substituting. - TDM stores the actual values and corresponding substitution values in the IDM storage table along with the seed values and dictionary name when the repeatable output is checked. So next time you run the same workflow with the same parameters, it simply fetches the values from the IDM storage table instead of the dictionary file. Only those values that are not present in the storage table will be fetched from the dictionary.

• 2. Re: Unique substitution masking in TDM
            sunny K Seasoned Veteran

Mukesh,

Thanks for the response and it was well explained. Quick clarification though.

My storage table is sitting on SQL server , if we use shared storage table option and if have 2 plans that are running at same time and trying to insert record in storage table at same time.

1. Will it lock the table?

2. Will any of these plans fail?

• 3. Re: Unique substitution masking in TDM

Nope. It will not lock the storage table since the shared option is enabled.

• 4. Re: Unique substitution masking in TDM
                sunny K Seasoned Veteran

Thanks Much Mukesh