1 of 1 people found this helpful
Patrick G wrote:
We would like to install PMPC 3.0 and we are wondering how best to go about it. Here is what we think we know:
- PMPC-Operations and PMPC-Governance can be installed together and share a RulePoint instance
- A single instance of PMPC (however configured) can only point at one Informatica domain
- PMPC-Operations is most impactful when monitoring a Production domain
- PMPC-Governance is most impactful when monitoring a Development or QA domain
- PMPC is best installed on a separate server from the Informatica domain, but for evaluation purposes it is possible to install it on the same server as the Informatica Domain
- The installation and set up of PMPC is a light-touch on the Informatica domain, consisting only of installing the nodeAgent components, thereby presenting little risk to the INFA domain during installation
I'd like to discuss these topics and look for the optimal path forward for installation and evaluation in our environment. Thanks in advance for any contributions you can make.
1. Correct. There is no problems installing both in the same environment. When you install the second package, it will detect the rulepoint install and only install pieces related to Governance.
2. Correct. Only one domain can be monitored per installation. Additionally, only one Rulepoint install can be done per server.
3 & 4. Honestly, both are good in all environments. There are some topics and rules that can be used for Governance that may be useful in production. I wouldn't exclude either one as you might design new rules that leverage these resources.
5. Yes. PMPC -- and pretty much any monitoring tool -- works best on a separate server. If PMPC is on the same server as infa, that means resources to use for Rulepoint are taken away from Infa and vise versa.
6. PMPC accesses PowerCenter metadata 3 ways: Via Node Agent that runs on the Infa servers, thru the web service hub to get real time info and reading repository metadata via a read only account. PMPC is designed to be as low impact as possible.
Hope this helps
Thank you for your answers, although for Patrick, but are useful for me also.
I have a small query though, I installed PMPC Operations and configured few bits on PMPC and gathering some event information on the rulepoint console. I am also going to install Governance on top of the Operations and hopefully I do not have to configure a lot as the operation installation exists with all info.
Now, I got a confusion around the fact that there is a separate Rulepoint software installation.
Do I need to install this separately ? I have PMPC 3.0
Also in operations installed directory, I have seen SQL files for DB config for schema and tables for rulepoint, but these were not present in the installation guide of PMPC 3.0. Thus I did not create any such schema other than what is mentioned in the document (Informatica Proactive Monitoring for PowerCenter Operations (Version 3.0)).