3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2015 9:31 AM by nheinze

Java Version for 9.6.1 on RHEL 6.x

Hi,

We are planning to install INFA 9.6.1 on RHEL 6.6.

I was reading the "961 Install ans Config guide", It says

"If you are installing Informatica on AIX, HP-UX, or zLinux, install the Java Development Kit (JDK). The JDK is not bundled with the Informatica installer for AIX, HP-UX, or zLinux. The JDK is bundled with the Informatica installer for all other platforms".

Assuming that only INFA is running on that machine. Does it mean I don't have to install JAVA on RHEL box? Can INFA run without any separate JAVA install?

On the other hand My IT security team wants to install JAVA 1.8 on RHEL. I (think)know INFA on Linux uses it's own JDK.

But if we install 1.8 does it going to cause any issues?

If anybody come across any situation like this, can you please share your experience. Thanks in Advance..!

Regards

Shankar

• 1. Re: Java Version for 9.6.1 on RHEL 6.x
          Guru

One of the Support Statements deals with this question in detail, here's the gist of it:

1. On Linux, the Informatica installation contains its own JDK. You have to use it, there's no way to avoid it.
          2. Never ever try to exchange this JDK against another one. The Informatica domain simply won't run with any other JDK than the one installed as part of the domain.

Regards,

Nico

• 2. Re: Java Version for 9.6.1 on RHEL 6.x

Hi Nico,

Thanks for your response.

Linux INFA uses it's own JDK. I never want to exchange it with another.

But is it "OK" to have different version JAVA installed on server? Ex: JAVA 1.8  is mandatory for one of my application

Regards,

Shankar

• 3. Re: Java Version for 9.6.1 on RHEL 6.x
              Guru

You can set up as many JDK versions in parallel on one and the same computer as you want to, no problem. Just make sure that those few environment variables which are involved in Java processing are set correctly. These are (off the top of my head, I don't give any guarantee for completeness):

- JAVA_HOME (should point to the directory under which those subdirectories like "lib", "bin", "jre", and so on are located;

- PATH (should contain $JAVA_HOME/jre/bin);

- on Unix/Linux systems LD_LIBRARY_PATH (for Linux/Solaris), SHLIB_PATH (HP-UX), or LIBPATH (AIX) holding $JAVA_HOME/lib.

As long as the different JDKs are cleanly separated from one another in all affected environment variables, you're safe to go.

Regards,

Nico