5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2015 6:51 AM by Srikanth Vishnuvajhala

Multiple versions of PowerCenter in one Informatica Domain

Brian Randolph New Member

We have multiple groups in our IT department using Powercenter.  One group is 'stuck' on 9.1 due to the use of an appliance connector which doesn't work with subsequent versions.  We are licensed for multiple cores, and would like to split off from this 9.1 group and upgrade to 9.6 Powercenter, along with Data Quality, etc, because we feel it will solve a lot of our existing problems.  We were told we can stand up a separate server as long as it is within the same domain.  This sounds like everyone must use the same version as long as we only have a single domain?  Is there anyway to have a 9.1 integration service running under a 9.6 domain?

• 1. Re: Multiple versions of PowerCenter in one Informatica Domain
          gopi kolla Guru

A domain can be mixed-version (i.e running different versions of services like IS and RS)

Also you can have multiple IS's pointing to a RS. So theoretically it is possible.

• 2. Re: Multiple versions of PowerCenter in one Informatica Domain
            Guru

Not that I know of. Assuming memory serves me right, you don't have a chance but to split this particular installation into a separate domain.

Please note that from a technical point of view you might be able (depending on the compatibility of the operating system, DB clients, and so on) to keep both versions on the same server. Please consult the Product Availability Matrix for your exact INFA software versions in order to verify this. This way you might at least leverage existing hardware without the need to set up new servers first.

Regards,

Nico

• 3. Re: Multiple versions of PowerCenter in one Informatica Domain
              pgeorge1 Guru

Not sure if I read the question right after the previous answers, but this is what I see:

Brian Randolph wrote:

We have multiple groups in our IT department using Powercenter.  One group is 'stuck' on 9.1 due to the use of an appliance connector which doesn't work with subsequent versions.  We are licensed for multiple cores, and would like to split off from this 9.1 group and upgrade to 9.6 Powercenter, along with Data Quality, etc, because we feel it will solve a lot of our existing problems.  We were told we can stand up a separate server as long as it is within the same domain.  This sounds like everyone must use the same version as long as we only have a single domain? Is there anyway to have a 9.1 integration service running under a 9.6 domain?

Um, the answer to the last question is no, absolutely not.

The same INFORMATICA DOMAIN cannot run different versions of Informatica services.

Do not even try to install 9.6. into the same directory as the 9.1 install or you will lose your 9.1 install.

What can be done is, ON UNIX ONLY, to install the 9.6 COMPLETE Informatica installation under a new directory and preferably under a new user (this is by far the best practice to avoid issues).

Here is a KB that goes over the options for this type of upgrade:

https://mysupport.informatica.com/infakb/howto/6/Pages/1/154897.aspx

This article mainly refers to using a new machine, but you can use the same UNIX machine as I mentioned.

• 4. Re: Multiple versions of PowerCenter in one Informatica Domain
                Guru

You cannot have multiple versions of Powercenter under one domain. This is not possible far as I know and have learnt from experience gained working in Informatica.

Regards,

Hitesh

• 5. Re: Multiple versions of PowerCenter in one Informatica Domain
                  Srikanth Vishnuvajhala Guru

Install Informatica 9.6.1 services on a separate file system with a different *nix user and a separate database schema to run the services. If creating a separate file system is a problem, then at least you can create a new directory under the existing file system indicating the respective version such as 9.6.1 and then point the 9.6.1 directory while installing the 9.6.1 services. Also if you are planning to upgrade your current 9.1 to 9.6.1 without impacting the existing the 9.1 content, then you can simply copy the 9.1 file system binaries on to a separate file system and restore the 9.1 Domain on to a new schema and then perform the upgrade. By doing this way, you would achieve 2 goals.

1. Your existing 9.1 services will be intact during the operation.

2. You will have a 9.6.1 Domain and Services upgraded from 9.1 content.

Also as pointed out by others, it is not possible to run 9.1 IS under 9.6.1 Domain.