5 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2015 8:14 AM by Harsha Gummadavelli

Dynamic Data Masking

Gianguido Benelli New Member

Hi

I am designing a solution for DDM 9.6.2

I'd like to know if DDM is supported for use with Qlik.

In specific:

My customer has a HR application, for which he wants to mask the DB, in order to prevent IT users to access by accident sensitive information.

The DB is Oracle, and this DB il also accesses by Qlik for reporting purposes.

If I install DDM in order to mask the sensitive data inside Oracle, will I be able to intercept also the calls that Qlik does on the DB for reporting purposes?

thanks a lot

• 1. Re: Dynamic Data Masking
          Harsha Gummadavelli Guru

Hi Gianguido,

Technically, it should be possible - I believe Qlik uses some connection string to connect to the database, right !? if yes, you can modify that connection string to point to the new service port that you create in DDM.

Having said that, DDM masks the data for the presentation layer only and it doesn't physically mask the data in the DB. If you are trying to physically mask the data in the DB, you will need to use another product like Informatica's Persistent Data Masking product.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Harsha

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Dynamic Data Masking

Thanks a lot Harsha

from my understanding Qlik can use a connection string, or it can also create a in-memory copy of the Whole DB for reporting purposes. I don't know the procotol though.

Do you know if there is the possibility to ask a sort of "certified architecture" in these scenarios? I know some other vendors do it.

thanks again

• 3. Re: Dynamic Data Masking
              Harsha Gummadavelli Guru

Hi Gianguido,

Can you please elaborate on the "certified architecture" you are referring to?

Thanks,

Harsha

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Dynamic Data Masking

Well I just wanted to know is Qlik reading from a DB under DDM has ever been tested, if there are any best practices to share...
                Like:

- should we place the DDM agent on the DB server or would it be preferred to install it on a separate server.

- Are there any reported performance issues when Qlik access DDM

- is it possible to just "change" the qlik configuration and set the new server and port into the new DDM port, or are there any other configurations required?

thanks a lot

• 5. Re: Dynamic Data Masking
                  Harsha Gummadavelli Guru

Hi Gianguido,

1. DDM can be placed on a separate server or on the DB server. It acts as a proxy either way. You create a new database service (depending on the type of database) and define a new port.

2. I'm not sure of the testing of Qlik accessing DB through DDM.

3. Setting new port for the existing DB connection string will suffice to re-route the access request. However, you should also create the required security rules so that DDM can handle the query request accordingly.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Harsha