7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2014 2:13 PM by shankarbokka Branched from an earlier discussion.

Multiple domains on same linux server

rakshith SMUZAMIL

We have only one domain and one node on our Linux server where our 861 is currently running.

Now I am planning to install 9.5.1 in different directory and I am using different schema for domain and repository (These are different from 861 schemas)

While installing 9.5.1, should I create new domain and node? Or Can I use existing ones?

(Can we create multiple domains on same Linux server?)

8443 is HTTPS port for 861 admin console, which port should I use for 951 admin console?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Multiple domains on same linux server
          Rakshith Jain P Guru

Hi Shankar,

Now I am bit confused here as you are saying, you are directly installing 951. If you directly install 951, you cannot restore the domain backup of 861 where you will lose the user, group and their associations.

Please let me know if you are going for migration and upgrade process suggested in my last post.

Also you can install multiple domains on the same Linux server. For the new installation your need to use the new free ports other than the once used in old Informatica server as there should be no port conflict issues.

-RJ

• 2. Re: Multiple domains on same linux server

My Requirement is upgrading 861 HF11 to 951 HF2.

I am confusing between which option should I consider??

1. In-place Upgrade

2. Parallel install of 951 on existing 861 servers, If 951 successfully installed, I can take down 861

For option 1, I don't have any rollback plan. If something went wrong

In Option 2, If both version are running successfully we can take down 861 after couple of weeks.

I have a question in Option 2: what will be the https port number for 951 admin console? for 861 it is 8443

Thanks

• 3. Re: Multiple domains on same linux server
              Rakshith Jain P Guru

Hi Shankar,

Here are the high level steps to migrate the Informatica server (this is for option 2):

Steps to be followed on the old server:

·         Take the backup of repository the services.
              ·         Take the domain backup of the old server.
              For more information on domain backup refer the documents,
              Command reference > infasetup Command Reference > BackupDomain.

Steps to be followed on the new server

·         Install 861 Informatica on the new server pointing to new database (Ensure you use the same domain name and node name). ( new free ports)
              ·         Login to Admin Console and ensure its working fine.
              ·         Shutdown the Informatica domain.
              ·         Restore the domain backup of old server on the new server.
              For more information refer the documents,
              Command reference > infasetup Command Reference > RestoreDomain (Ensure you use –f option).
              ·         Start the server, restore the repository backup.
              ·         After the restoration ensure that all the services are working fine.
              ·         Upgrade PowerCenter from 8.6.1 to 9.5.1.

Note: ***** Ensure you copy all the source, scripts, and lookups etc. which are used by the existing PowerCenter to the new server. Any applicable changes like $PMRootDir, absolute paths in the metadata (log paths, source/target file paths etc.) need to be changed manually as applicable.

Regarding the query on ports, use new ports which are free for the new installation.

-RJ

• 4. Re: Multiple domains on same linux server

Rakshith,

I can't use new server. I have to upgrade the 861 on existing server or install 951 on the same server.

If do fresh 951 install  in different directory on  existing 861 Linux,  What will be the https port number for 951 admin console? for 861 it is 8443?

Thanks

• 5. Re: Multiple domains on same linux server
                  Rakshith Jain P Guru

Hi shankar,

You can use the same server. The steps which I gave you was the generic steps so was pointed as new server.

The https port number for 951 admin console will the new which you will provide during the new installation of 861. Check for the free ports on the linux server and provide that ports for the new installation. If you provide 8112 as https port during installation then that will be your https admin console port for 951 domain.

-RJ

• 6. Re: Multiple domains on same linux server
                    Sachin Kumar Guru

Hi Shankar,

If you go with option 2, then you have to use a different port other than 8443. Check for the free port and use.

8443 is just the default port which Informatica uses to configure a secure connection. Since that port you have provided to 8.6.1, then for 9.5.1 you need to find a different free port and provide that.

• 7. Re: Multiple domains on same linux server

Thanks for the reply.

I was successfully able create multiple domains and nodes on the same server and I was able to successfully install 9.5.1 on the same server. Now both 861 and 951 are up and running

But I did a fresh install of 951 with different admin console port and with different tcp ports

Shankar