6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2014 7:31 AM by Vishal Doshi

How to read XML files ?

Hi,

I have XML files which don't have .XSD extension. i try to read these files using power center but i couldn't, i got an error AS files extension not supported. Then i change the extension to .XSD and then try to read these files  ,still i couldn't  (power center is hanged and closed).

Please can anybody have solution ,please let me know? Thanks Rajesh

• 1. Re: How to read XML files ?
          Guru

Could you please describe exactly what steps you did where in which client tool? You have not described whether you tried importing them as XML sources / targets or as flat file sources / targets, and I have never seen this "file extension not supported" yet. I am puzzled and would like to understand what exactly you have done, step by step.

Thanks,

Nico

• 2. Re: How to read XML files ?
            Guru

An XML file will have .xml extension and not .xsd extension. A file with .XSD extension is an XML schema file rather than actual data file.

• 3. Re: How to read XML files ?

Actually I got file like "HELRF.HSEGF.16500005.PubID=ELRF2LEI_Fvers=100_IDT=20140614015946.recu" ,Actually it is XML file. I modified this file as "HELRF.HSEGF.16500005.PubID=ELRF2LEI_Fvers=100_IDT=20140614015946.xml" and then i used powercenter designer/ analyzer import  ,1..Impport file as a XML defination and imported this file.

• 4. Re: How to read XML files ?
                Guru

I see where your problem was.

There is one general point you should be aware of: a XSD file always makes sense because in a XSD file many features (such as values which may only be from a certain range or a fixed set of values) can be embedded which cannot be retrieved from a XML file. From this point of view it would make sense that the person / organisation which has provided this XML file would give you a XSD file to import. It enables PowerCenter to perform certain checks on actual XML files which cannot be performed without the XSD.

Is your question answered that way? Is there anything else you need help with? If not, would you please be so kind to close this thread?

Thanks,

Nico

• 5. Re: How to read XML files ?
                  Guru

The string you mentioned in your post  - is it the file title or contents of the file. If they are contents, I don't think it' an XML file. If it's the title, you can open the file in an XML editor (even notepad++) and save as some_name.xml.

• 6. Re: How to read XML files ?
                    Vishal Doshi New Member

You can use Informatica Data Transformation tool to use parse the XML file. You can also load the data in relation database .

But definitely you need to have XSD , because schema structure of the XML will be part of XSD.