12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2014 5:12 AM by Srikanth Vishnuvajhala

Automatically Syncing Repositories?

David Lenz New Member

Our setup includes a primary PROD server as well as a backup disaster recovery PROD server.  The idea is that if the primary server goes down, we can start the Informatica service on the backup server and quickly resume operations. I am exploring different ways to automatically keep the servers in sync. For the file system side of things, I plan on using built in Windows replication groups.

However, for the Informatica repository I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on the best way to implement something like this such that when we migrate objects to the primary PROD server, they will be replicated or synced up with the backup server repository. Due to technical limitations, replicating at the database level is out. I was wondering if this could be done with some sort of automated deploment groups?

Any suggestions on the best way to implement something like this would be appreciated.

Some details:

• The servers are on separate Informatica domains
      • Running Windows Server 2012 and Informatica 9.5.1HF3

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Automatically Syncing Repositories?
          Srikanth Vishnuvajhala Guru

The easiest and quickest way to sync Prod and DR repositories is to use the pmrep commands such as backup/restore to perform Repository backup and restore the backed up copy on the DR Repository.

One way is to write a batch script to perform regular Repository Backup on the Prod Domain and have the backed up file FTP'd to the DR server on a regular basis.

Another way is to mount the NAS directory on both Prod and DR servers and have the script place the backed up file on the NAS directory. Both Prod and DR servers treat as if the NAS directory is local them and thus eliminating an extra step of FTP'ing the Production back up file to the DR Server.

Regards,

Srikanth

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Automatically Syncing Repositories?
            David Lenz New Member

Thanks for the reply.

It would be very easy to accomplish the backup file transfer with a shared folder.

Are there any caveats that I should be aware of? Does the repository backup contain all of the necessary objects to keep the two servers in sync? i.e. Connections, users, etc?

• 3. Re: Automatically Syncing Repositories?

Yes, shared folders or NAS mount; both serve the same purpose. So you can choose whichever is easier for you. The real advantage of having a NAS is that it can be mounted on any OS platform with a minimum effort.

Repository backup process will backup the entire contents of the Repository including the connections and their permissions except the Users since the Users are stored at the Domain level.

If you would like to copy Users and Groups from Prod to the DR domain, then use the command, infacmd.bat ExportUsersAndGroups to take the backup of Users and Groups from the Prod Domain and then use infacmd.bat ImportUsersAndGroups to import them onto the DR Domain. Make sure to import the Users and Groups before restoring the contents so that the connection and folder permissions will not be missed during the Repository restore process.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Automatically Syncing Repositories?
                David Lenz New Member

Thanks again for your response. I am going to give this a try tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

• 5. Re: Automatically Syncing Repositories?

Good luck. I just found the attached windows Repository backup batch script on Informatica market place.

Regards,

Srikanth

• 6. Re: Automatically Syncing Repositories?
                    Guru

Hi Srikanth,

Just to add on to your approach of Repository backup and repository restore,

The repository restore can be done only on a new db which would imply that everytime we will need a new DB and thereby new repository.

So i guess this approach will not work.

• 7. Re: Automatically Syncing Repositories?

Aditya,

You don't need a new db/schema each time you restore a repository but you need an empty schema in order to restore the contents. If you trying to restore the contents on a schema which was used previously, then make sure the schema is empty before restoring the contents. In this case, you can delete the contents from the Admin console prior to restoring the contents on the DR Domain by using the Action - Delete Contents option .

David's requirement is to sync Prod and DR repositories and in that case, he has to first delete the contents on the DR Rep prior to restoring the Prod Repository contents on the DR schema.

Regards,

Srikanth

• 8. Re: Automatically Syncing Repositories?
                        David Lenz New Member

Srikanth,

Thanks for the advice so far.  I was able to set this up successfully by creating some customized scripts. I found a good source for this here.

Thanks,

Dave

• 9. Re: Automatically Syncing Repositories?
                          David Lenz New Member

So, I have the automatic syncing working smoothly without errors, however, I am getting an error when trying to view/run workflows in the Workflow Monitor.  The error I get is:

ERROR: Repository mismatch. Integration Service is connected to repository [REP_PROD] in domain [Domain_PROD] with repository GID [xxxx-xxxx-xxxx]. Client is trying to connect to repository [REP_PROD] in domain [] with repository GID [yyyy-yyyy-yyyy].

I am assuming that when importing the repo there are some settings that are overwritten.  Is there a specific field in the repository that I can manually change to fix the issue?

• 10. Re: Automatically Syncing Repositories?

Dave,

Try the following steps.

1. Log in to the Workflow Mgr tool.

2. On the Navigator window, select the Integration Service under the Repository, right click and Delete the IntegrationService.

3. Log in to the Administrator tool and recycle Repository and Integration Services.

4. Log in back to Workflow Mgr and Assign the new IntegrationService to all the Workflows.

5. Now open the Workflow Monitor tool and check if the issue is resolved.

Regards,

Srikanth

• 11. Re: Automatically Syncing Repositories?
                              David Lenz New Member

Srikanth,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did as you suggested and the "correct" Integration Services did appear under the repository, however, the workflows are no longer associated with their respective integration services even though they are named the same. My goal is to make this automated and seamless in that if the primary server goes down, we can just start up the mirrored DR server and continue processing.  Is there a way to automatically associate the workflow with the respective integration service?

Thanks,

Dave

• 12. Re: Automatically Syncing Repositories?

Unfortunately as of now there is no command to assign IS to the Workflows and you would have to follow the approach as suggested in my earlier post. One other alternative is to export all the Workflows to a XML file using the command, pmrep objectexport and use *nix command such as sed to search and replace the IS in the XML file and then re-import the XML file back into the Repository. This is the only work around I can think of at the moment.