5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2014 7:30 AM by ramkrish

Data Validation Option (DVO)

Hi All,

I have Just come across the Data validation option provided by informatica for the validation of data/metadata for the upgrades. Can someone point me to the Usage guide of this DVO tool provided by informatica and also let me know if it Supports Informatica 5.1. As we plan to upgrade from Informatica PC 5.1 to Informatica 9.5  (5.1-->7.1-->8.6-->9.5 upgrade path) would like to know it supports informatica PC 5.1 to compare the 5.1 Repository metadata against the 9.5 version metadata.

Thanks

Ram

• 1. Re: Data Validation Option (DVO)
          rvanderk Guru

DVO is used to validate real data, not the metadata between repositories. So you can use DVO to compare the results of your ETL jobs of both the old and new version of PowerCenter to see if there are any differences (which shouldn't be the case).

Validation of the metadata inside the repository is not something you can do with a tool, but this is normally guaranteed by Informatica. In your case you have to do a complex multi-step upgrade so I recommend to involve Informatica Professional Services to assist you here. As said in your other topic they can assist in performing upgrade as seamlessly as possible.

• 2. Re: Data Validation Option (DVO)

Thanks, Yes Informatica is helping with the upgrade.

• 3. Re: Data Validation Option (DVO)

Hi,

Does DVO support Oracle 9i database for the data comparison between the source & Target environments in a upgrade. The Target DB would be Oracle 11G

Thanks

Ram

• 4. Re: Data Validation Option (DVO)
                rvanderk Guru

Informatica doesn't support Oracle 9 anymore (Oracle itself doesn't support it anymore as well), but you can still connect to it through the Oracle 11 client. So as long as you do simple select statements and don't push too much logic to the database you should be fine.

• 5. Re: Data Validation Option (DVO)

As i had mentioned above, the upgrade planned is from Informatica 5.1 to Informatica 9.5. Our Target DB used in 5.1 environment is oracle 9i and Target DB to be used in 9.5 is Oracle 11g. So after the upgrade from 5.1 to 9.5 to compare the results of your ETL jobs of both the old and new version of PowerCenter to see if there are any differences Will DVO allow us to use our Oracle 9i DB against the Oracle 11G DB which are the respective target DB's used by Informatica 5.1 & 9.5..

Thanks

Ram