8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2012 9:24 AM by dmeister

Error connecting to the DTM at [%s : %d]: [%s] when using debugger

htrieu New Member

Has anybody else experienced this issue?  When I use the debugger I get the error below.  I'm using the debugger thru a SSL VPN (sock proxy) and thru a firewall.  It seems like the connection is getting cut-off on it way back to the client.  The debugger works fine inside our network and firewall.  I have included both IP address and FQDN of PC server in the hosts file on both the server and client machine outside the firewall.  I have looked at the VPN logs and it looks like the communication going back to the client is using the server's shortname.  The ports are open.   Any help would be appreciated.

Establishing a connection to the Integration Service is_hpo...

Integration Service is_hpo acknowledged its ability to debug a mapping.

Initializing debugger...

Sending request to Integration Service is_hpo to debug mapping m_testKBMBGBTB...

Waiting for Integration Service to initialize...

Error connecting to the DTM at :

Server execution failed, forcing shutdown of the debugger...

Debugger shutdown complete.

• 1. Re: Error connecting to the DTM at [%s : %d]: [%s] when using debugger

When doing debugger, the pmserver actually does "gethostbyname" & then passes that info back to the client for communication.

So, if login to the server machine & do the command "hostname", does it give fully qualified machine name or only partial one.  If you get partial, then you will have to modify the hosts file of the server, such that the hostname gives fully qualified name & that should take care of the problem.

Good luck.

Thanks

• 2. Re: Error connecting to the DTM at [%s : %d]: [%s] when using debugger
            Guru

Furthermore, you have to make sure that sockets for the debugging ports can be established both ways, from the clients to the server machine(s) as well as from the server machine(s) to the client PCs. A debug session is instantiated from the Designer client tool, but the actual socket is created on the server side and has to get through to the client PC. Many firewalls I've seen in the past years were opened only for connections from the client PCs to the servers, not the other way round.

Regards,

Nico

• 3. Re: Error connecting to the DTM at [%s : %d]: [%s] when using debugger
              htrieu New Member

I've already had the FQDN and ip address in the host file.  I went onto the server and did 'hostname' command and I still get the computer name.  Where else would INFA be getting the computer name instead of the FQDN.

• 4. Re: Error connecting to the DTM at [%s : %d]: [%s] when using debugger
                Seasoned Veteran

Debugger by default uses port 5101, you can go to Designer and click on Tools> Options> Debug and then see what port is being used and then check with your network guys if that port is open or not.

If not then you may not be able to run debugger.

• 5. Re: Error connecting to the DTM at [%s : %d]: [%s] when using debugger
                  Guru

May I remind you of one detail of my previous reply:

When the PMServer process starts a debugger session, it creates a TCP/IP connection (a socket) from its machine to the Windows PC where your Debugger is running. So it is mandatory that not only the IP port be opened but also that a socket using this port can established from both ends, not only from the Windows PC to the server machine.

Regards,

Nico

• 6. Re: Error connecting to the DTM at [%s : %d]: [%s] when using debugger
                    Seasoned Veteran

Yes I agree. My point was, an individual developer can change the default port, so we need to make sure that correct opened port is being used.

• 7. Error connecting to the DTM at [%s : %d]: [%s] when using debugger

Hi Nico,

this is a while after the event (4 years) but I'm experiencing a similar problem to this and I cannot trace the root cause. Your answer seems as if it might lead me down the right path. I'm hoping you're still around.

I'm getting the error:

Error connecting to the DTM at [ : 9229]: [connect: (WSAETIMEDOUT)Connect timed out]

- I have the full host name in my hosts file.

- I can ping this

- hostname on this machine gives the same full hostname

So, I'm trying to fathom if "a socket using this port can established from both ends, not only from the Windows PC to the server machine". How can I check the server can establish this socket back to my PC?

Thanks

Jon

• 8. Error connecting to the DTM at [%s : %d]: [%s] when using debugger

I have a document on testing debugger connectivity.  It is not in the knowledgebase, because everything here is in other KB articles.  I just put them together into one document.

I hope this helps you to find the source of the problems,

-DM

I have two tests to verify connectivity is available from the client to the server, and from the server to the client.

Here is the first test:

The port number that you have defined for Debugger in Designer is the one on which Designer listens for return traffic from the server.  We will verify that the server can connect TO the client on the given port number.  For the sake of discussion, we will assume that Debugger will use port 5101:

1) Verify that you can resolve the hostname for your Windows Client from the Server machine.  (We prefer that you use hostname, and not IP address because A) PowerCenter uses the getHosts() function, and B) you might have different IP addresses inside and outside of the firewall, but you should have a mechanism to map one to the other based on hostname)
                        2) In Designer, get Debugger ready to accept a connection from the server.  Get to the point where you are one mouse-click away from starting Debugger.
                        3) On the server, run this command:

telnet <client hostname> 5101

4) Immediately after #3, go back to Designer, and start Debugger with that one last click.

If they can connect, the Telnet window will sit, empty.  You will not see any errors about inability to connect.

Here is the second test:

We will verify that the Client can connect to the Integration Service, where the IS is listening.  You will set the Integration Service to start on a given port number by use of a flag in the Integration Service.  Without the flag, the IS will start on the first available of a range of ports.  If we use this flag, we will know the exact port number that the IS will use for listening for client connections.

1) On the IS, set this flag: ServerPort, and give it a value.  (For the sake of discussion, we will say that the value is 12345).
                        2) Start up the IS, and then look in the log for the IS.  Look for an entry like this:  "Opened Service Port [12345] to listen for client connections."
                        3) Once the IS is started, run this command from the Windows client's command line:
                        telnet <server hostname> 12345

If they can connect, the Telnet window will sit, empty.  You will not see any errors about inability to connect.

KB32399, KB16248