It’s been a while now, since customers started approaching us, asking for ways to use the Informatica API Gateway for running Application Integration processes that run on-premises, on the Secured Agent.
The requirement was clear – a significant number of organizations still prefer to keep their data and transactions in house, within the boundaries of their network. Having these constraints, customers using Application Integration could not use the Informatica API Management capabilities for securing, managing, throttling, and monitoring their APIs.
As of release of IICS, we are proud to announce a preview version of the API ! It is a flavor of the cloud API Gateway that is running within the context of the secure agent, on-premises. Customers can start experimenting with it for testing, with no additional cost.
Informatica Cloud Integration Platform supports the Hybrid paradigm, which means that cloud and on-premises applications coexist, while data is accessible wherever it resides. If you need to access your APIs on the Cloud and on-premise, you’d want API Management on top of all that: Hybrid API Management. This can be achieved by using both the Cloud API Gateway and the simultaneously.
How it works in a nutshell
The API Microgateway consists of two components, API Service, a secure agent service that helps in creating, building, and deploying the API M runtime component. The API is a Docker runtime component that proxies the Application Integration endpoints while applying the configured API policies.
Note: This blog post will be followed by a detailed, technical post, that will elaborate on the API architecture, usage, and more.
How to get it
If you already have license for Cloud Application Integration that includes the API Manager, you are entitled to a free, custom license of the API . All you need to do is open a ticket with Informatica support where we will initiate the Preview process for you. You will probably have to go through the following steps:
- Meet for a short intro with our Product Management
- Sign an agreement where you acknowledge that this is a preview version and not to be used in production
- Get your license
- Get guidance on how to setup, run, and so on
- Start your experiments
- Get back to us with feedback
Good to know
A few facts, limitations, and disclaimers:
- This is a preliminary, preview version and is yet to have all the functionality we offer in the Cloud. However, we plan to gradually match the two. Moreover, we plan to make it production-ready soon
- For October 2020 preview release, the API service does not have a UI to create managed APIs. REST endpoints are exposed to the service that can be used to create managed APIs, build the Docker image, and deploy
- It is to be used on Linux machines
- For now, it can proxy only Application Integration APIs
- Basic authorization/authentication is supported (username/password), using Informatica Identity Service
For questions, problems, open GCS tickets and we will do our best to address those quickly (no SLA for Preview though). You will be approached by us so that we can learn from your feedback and improve.
Looking forward to hearing from you!
Mickey , Informatica Product Management